Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: bad cell behavior?

1. Back To Top    #1

bad cell behavior?

i have a ps-8 with a t cell 15.... i'm pretty sure it's bad as it's been reding <2000 and my dropper kit says almost 4k... it does however seem to always start out at 3000-3200 when i just turn on the pump after its been down for a little while. i can do the save instant slat level at that time, but it always drops back down to 1800 or so and shuts down the cell. does this sound at all familiar?

thanks all
    IG, PebbleTech, 26 x 15 kindey+spa, 16000 approx. gals, 2.25hp 2 spd hayward pump, 2 1/2 plumbing, cartridge filter, SWG, navigator, Long Beach, CA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: bad cell behavior?

Sounds like typical behavior for a cell that is going bad. How old is it?

A pool store should be able to test it for you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

4 maybe?
    IG, PebbleTech, 26 x 15 kindey+spa, 16000 approx. gals, 2.25hp 2 spd hayward pump, 2 1/2 plumbing, cartridge filter, SWG, navigator, Long Beach, CA

4. Back To Top    #4

Typical life expectancy seems to be 3-5 years. Try getting it tested.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

will do. is there an ohm test listed here somewhere i can do?

6. Back To Top    #6

I think the testing is more than just a resistance reading.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

i see, i'll take it in. i noticed that it's not really just that it starts out that way, but reads much higher at high speed on the pump. at high it reads about 3k and -6.1amps, it drops to -4.1 amps and 1.6k on low, then shuts down after a few minutes.

8. Back To Top    #8

That is pretty odd that the pump speed affects the reading ... never seen that reported before.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

pretty reliably actually...

10. Back To Top    #10

i've heard people talk about wiring these in reverse to prevent buildup... i've never had a spot of scale on mine since it was installed. any chance that's the reason for the negative amps? or is that normal?