Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poor planning - frost threat overnight

1. Back To Top    #1

Poor planning - frost threat overnight

Help TFP! I've lurked around for a couple weeks around Pool School and what not, getting my bearings.

I have an above ground pool that came with the house that I just purchased. First pool,so lots of learning.

Forcast calls for temps in the low 30s tonight. My pool isn't closed yet... should I leave the pump running overnight? or better to shut it off to prevent damage?

I have a Chlorease SWG, for what it's worth. Oh TFP, please help this noob before expensive damage occurs.
    15K AG, w. Chlorease SWG; 150 sqft cartridge (ClearwaterII); Two Speed pump, seems to only work on one speed; less than 10 yrs old; partially decked.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poor planning - frost threat overnight

Yup...let it run overnight. If in northeast, it's forecast to be above freezing by 9 am,...should be fine
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Yup...let it run overnight. If in northeast, it's forecast to be above freezing by 9 am,...should be fine
    thanks for approving and replying. i finally found a pool store open and they also assured me it'll be okay. yes, NE; Central NJ, more specifically.

i'll be here often - i have zippo knowledge in this area.
    15K AG, w. Chlorease SWG; 150 sqft cartridge (ClearwaterII); Two Speed pump, seems to only work on one speed; less than 10 yrs old; partially decked.

4. Back To Top    #4

Low 30s are nothing. It takes a lot of therms to move the temps of a pool. If you have a timer, just set it to fire up around midnight and let it shut off around 6 AM. No biggie. But, really, you don't have to run it at all. I don't close my pool and even in the teens (with the pump running) it is not an issue.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks everyone... going to try the closing today... working on cleaning up all the debris... pool hasn't been used about 75% of the summer. will post another topic w. photos