New Construction Houston, TX

farsider3000

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 7, 2012
Houston, TX
Hi everyone.... been lurking for a while. We are about a week past gunite and everything is going pretty well with the build but I do have a question.

My PB has specified a Pentair DE filter to go with our salt water pool. I will post some pics later but the pool is a free form 36 ft long and varying between 16ft and 21ft wide with 3.5 ft shallow end and 6' 8" deep end (did not hit my desired 7' depth). We also have the PCC2000 in ground cleaning system.

I want your expert opinions on DE and whether it is worth all the hassle or if catridge will work just as well. I know DE can filter out smaller particles than cartridge but is this really the case or is it only so when the filter media is new (filter capability degrades over days or weeks?)?

Another question... any scientific testing regarding how often to water the gunite. We have been watering it twice per day.

[attachment=2:1vvx87et]IMG_0567.JPG[/attachment:1vvx87et]
[attachment=1:1vvx87et]IMG_0568.JPG[/attachment:1vvx87et]
[attachment=0:1vvx87et]IMG_0569.JPG[/attachment:1vvx87et]

Attachments

• IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 217
welcome to TFP.

Actually a cartridge can be more of a hassle more often than a DE filter. You can't backwash a cartridge so your only option when it needs cleaning is to tear it down and clean it. With a DE filter you can backwash it and just recharge it with DE and your back in business. You only have to tear it down about once a year. Of course if you oversize the cartridge you'll only have to clean it once or twice a year so it's not bad either.

Twice a day for the first while sounds about right for watering the gunite.

Thanks Dave.

Another question. The pool has turned out to be about 4 inches shy of the 7ft depth that was agreed and my pool builder says he can add another inch to the water depth by adjusting the way the coping is installed. Not sure I want to mess with this as I am concerned about any other issues this might create down the road.

We have a jumping platform that will be 30" above the water level at it's highest point.

I will post some pics tonight

If you are planning on intalling a laminar jet now of in the future they recommend to use a cartridge filter. They have small screens inside them that will get plugged off from DE material or sand. I added 2 laminars to my pool build and had to switch from DE to cartridge.

You will never notice an inch difference. It is really based upon the skimmer itself. Pool depth is usually measured from the center of the throat, so if he is not raising the skimmer adding more mud under the coping and raising the tile line will not really make a difference.
There is the best of both worlds filter. It is a Pentair Quad DE. You can backwash if you like, or clean it like a cartridge filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.