Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tear in Liner Caused Major Drainage

1. Back To Top    #1

Tear in Liner Caused Major Drainage

Hi again all,

Thanks to this forum I was able to get my pool chemistry sorted out earlier in the year but now I have a bigger problem.

There was a small leak but we thought it may be coming from one of the pumps. Then yesterday we set the vacuum going an now this morning there is a tear maybe a foot long or so and all the water has drained.

I was wondering if there is a limit to what can be patched? I'd like to try patch it and I found Boxer glue was recommended on some other threads, will that work for a tear this size?

We were getting ready to close the pool for the winter and as I understand we need to leave some water in to maintain it's structural integrity, is that true?

Thanks so much for the help, you guys are great.
    Al
    16000Gallons, Sand Filter, Above Ground plastic liner, 1.5H pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tear in Liner Caused Major Drainage

How old is the liner? You are going to need a piece of liner bigger than the tear to do the patching.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Tear in Liner Caused Major Drainage

The Liner is 4 years old. We're going to get a patch kit, how much bigger should the patch be than the hole? I read 2 inches of extra material on all sides, does that sound good?

Also the boxer glue mentioned on this forum, is that the stuff that will come in the kit? Or is it better to find and buy boxer glue separately?
    16000Gallons, Sand Filter, Above Ground plastic liner, 1.5H pump