Chlorine life

soundguy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
Gulf Coast, AL
I'm about to install a stenner pump in my g/f's pool. It's approx 30,000 gal.
I also plan to purchase chlorine by the 55 gallon drum at 12%+ strength.

Some questions.

Question 1
All things being equal...
Drum #1 has both 2" bung caps off so the chlorine is open to the air
Drum #2 is sealed airtight.
Will there be a difference between the two in %concentration over time?

Question 2
In reference to this chart:
table_effect.gif

At 90 degrees, 15% chlorine will become 7.5% in 48 days.
Will the half life of that same 48 day old 7.5% chlorine have a half life, according to the chart, of something like ~150 days?

Question 3
Because it gets pretty hot in the summer here in Mobile, I was thinking about burying a 55gal drum in the ground to keep the chlorine cooler. I'd guess that the chlorine in the ground would stay in the low 80's possibly even the 70's.
Has anyone else done this?
Am I wasting my time and energy.

Thanks.

In a 30k gal pool using 12% bleach you'll use about 2 quarts per day. I'd try to get a 30 gallon drum instead of a 55 gallon one if you can. 30 gallons will still last her about 2 months. Burying or insulating it would be good.

I wouldn't leave both bungs open but it needs to vent so it doesn't need to be completely sealed. I drilled a hole in one of the bungs on mine 1/64" bigger than the 1/4" tubing and it does fine.

Any experience I have had with Sodium Hypochlorite is in 20l (5.25 USG) plastic drums, with a dosing pump which fits into the drums lid, with a reasonable space for ventilation around the lid. Keeping the drum in a cool, dark, reasonably ventilated area will help reduce loss of available FC. Everything Dave J has said is firm information, and I wouldn't look to have more than around 2 months Sodium Hypo in stock at a time.

Regards
Stuart

soundguy said:
Question 2
In reference to this chart:
table_effect.gif

At 90 degrees, 15% chlorine will become 7.5% in 48 days.
Will the half life of that same 48 day old 7.5% chlorine have a half life, according to the chart, of something like ~150 days?
Yes, you are correct with how you read the chart. The degradation rate slows down as the chlorine concentration drops over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.