Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine life

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine life

I'm about to install a stenner pump in my g/f's pool. It's approx 30,000 gal.
    I also plan to purchase chlorine by the 55 gallon drum at 12%+ strength.

Some questions.

Question 1
    All things being equal...
    Drum #1 has both 2" bung caps off so the chlorine is open to the air
    Drum #2 is sealed airtight.
    Will there be a difference between the two in %concentration over time?

Question 2
    In reference to this chart:

At 90 degrees, 15% chlorine will become 7.5% in 48 days.
    Will the half life of that same 48 day old 7.5% chlorine have a half life, according to the chart, of something like ~150 days?

Question 3
    Because it gets pretty hot in the summer here in Mobile, I was thinking about burying a 55gal drum in the ground to keep the chlorine cooler. I'd guess that the chlorine in the ground would stay in the low 80's possibly even the 70's.
    Has anyone else done this?
    Am I wasting my time and energy.

Thanks.
    16x32 Grecian, vinyl liner, IG, 19000 gal.
    1.5 h.p. Hayward Super Pump 2 speed. Hayward S244T sand filter
    Circupool RJ45 SWG, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine life

In a 30k gal pool using 12% bleach you'll use about 2 quarts per day. I'd try to get a 30 gallon drum instead of a 55 gallon one if you can. 30 gallons will still last her about 2 months. Burying or insulating it would be good.

I wouldn't leave both bungs open but it needs to vent so it doesn't need to be completely sealed. I drilled a hole in one of the bungs on mine 1/64" bigger than the 1/4" tubing and it does fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Any experience I have had with Sodium Hypochlorite is in 20l (5.25 USG) plastic drums, with a dosing pump which fits into the drums lid, with a reasonable space for ventilation around the lid. Keeping the drum in a cool, dark, reasonably ventilated area will help reduce loss of available FC. Everything Dave J has said is firm information, and I wouldn't look to have more than around 2 months Sodium Hypo in stock at a time.

Regards
    Stuart
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by soundguy
    Question 2
    In reference to this chart:

At 90 degrees, 15% chlorine will become 7.5% in 48 days.
    Will the half life of that same 48 day old 7.5% chlorine have a half life, according to the chart, of something like ~150 days?
    Yes, you are correct with how you read the chart. The degradation rate slows down as the chlorine concentration drops over time.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"