GFCI circuit breaker replacement

Sep 21, 2012
Foster City, CA
Hi all,

Both the property and pool inspectors reported a non-working GFCI breaker for the pool light. Rather than pay the quoted $300 for the pool guy to fix it, I figure with TFP's help, I can tackle this! Computer geek by trade and second time homeowner, so I have some experience replacing indoor switches and receptacles.

The pool has a dedicated subpanel, with one GFCI breaker labeled "light." The light itself is supposedly 500watts. I'll probably want to replace/update this later on with something more efficient...

Seems straightforward enough, but just hoping for validation that I've got this right.
1) Cut power at the main panel
2) Remove the bolt at the bottom of the subpanel
3) Remove the old 15-Amp GFCI breaker, detaching the ground wire
4) Bring it to Home Depot and purchase a $40 replacement of the same type/size/amps
5) Clean off the old grounding location with some sandpaper
6) Attach the new ground wire and fasten the new breaker
7) Close up the subpanel, turn on the main, turn on the light
8) Press the button to confirm it trips the circuit

Does it seem odd that the light is controlled solely by a breaker and not a separate switch?

Thanks!
Ed

Attachments

• GFCI.JPG
    GFCI.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 298
Update on this:

I removed the old breaker unit yesterday (took ~10 minutes), and bought a replacement at Home Depot.
"Square D by Schneider Electric Homeline 15 Amp Single-Pole GFCI Circuit Breaker" - $36

Putting all back together this weekend, and will let you know how it goes.

I'll definitely think about getting a switch wired when I do the upgrade/replacement of the pump and solar controls.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 198
Yup, first trip to Home Depot was failure. As you guys said, Homeline is not compatible.

They stock the QO 20-amp GFCI, but not the 15-amp model. The electrical aisle guy suggested an electrical supply shop instead. Apparently the one I need isn't that common anymore.

Try, try again. Thanks,
Ed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CraigMW, 12 gauge copper to the light. 10 gauge from the main circuit breaker. The Home Depot guy asked if it was 12 gauge also, but I wasn't sure until i checked it just now. Sounds like I'm ready for a 3rd trip back!

Nedchavez, with the old gfci breaker in and in the on position, pressing the test button didn't seem to do anything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 133
Yeah, a 20A breaker should be fine then. The breaker itself is just to ensure that the wiring doesn't overheat. Since the breaker didn't trip with the test button, it definitely sounds like a breaker issue. This is probably from repeated use as a switch, which it is not designed for. Adding a switch and box should be reasonably trivial.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.