Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe sticking out of the ground

1 1/2 inch pvc pipe sticking out of the ground

Hello..just joined TFP. such a great site I no doubt will use very often. I have a PVC pipe sticking out of the ground about 6 inches high, half way between the two returns, and I'm not sure what it would be for. My steps have jets and a valve to unscrew to let air it for spa like air bubbles.

This pool is an L shape. I bought this home in 2007 and the pool is around 15yrs old and in good shape. I live in Ontario Canada and will be adding some RV antifreeze into the returns and not sure if I could add it through this pipe.

vinyl pool liner and volume aprox 90,000 ltrs. If anyone could help me on this one it would be you guys....Thanks
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

Re: 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe sticking out of the ground

Could be a connection to a sump to pump water out of the ground around the pool or a line in place to install a cleaner. Are there any unexplained ports on the walls of your pool?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Hi and thank you for your reply. There are no unexplained ports at all. There are two return ports to the main part of the pool, and the steps have four jets in them. I have no main drain at all. I was wondering if it was to blow out the lines for winter. I have closed my pool for the season now. Not sure what type of cleaner would hook up there. I use a kreepy Krawly hooked to the skimmer. This pipe is not causing any problems. The pool company that installed the pool said they don't know. I use to use them for the opening and closing the pool when My daughter used the house after I bought it, as I was living in Vancouver before retiring and moving into it last year. The pool co. charged me for so much stuff they said they put in it and found out later they charged me for parts they never put in. I'm very surprised they didn't install the pool upside down...D'oh !!

How would I find out how far down the pipe actually goes without digging up the whole area
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

I'd try blowing air into the pipe. Start with very low pressure and move up to about 20 psig. I wouldn't put much more than that on it. If bubbles start coming out you'll know where it goes.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Where is the valve to turn on the bubbles? That pipe could be in the intake for the air. Turn the bubbles on and then cover the pipe with your hand ... if the bubbles stop ... there is your answer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

It's like a cap that you undo a bit at a time to create bubbles. It's located on the side/top of the steps themselves, not sure if thats connected at all. I'll keep on looking around to see if I can figure it out. Good idea you have about blowing in some air, but at the moment I have it all closed now for the winter. I guess I could just put some antifreeze in the lines via the pump house. Thanks for all your help though....you guys are so nice to answer all our questions no matter how small they seem to be, and it's all a big help. I know it takes some time before the pool will own me, but I'm sure it will soon !
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

My spa has a 1 1/2 inch pipe that allows air to mix with the jets when the pump is on high, creating a bubbler.

Senior Member In the Industry

pics?
    -Jaime

Junior Member In the Industry

Hi,
    I am new to this site but I have been building pools for over 30 years in Florida and Georgia. You stated that you have no main drains at all and made mention of "a" skimmer. I amd not sure of the codes in your area but in any area I have worked they do not require main drains but do require 2 suction inlets. Maybe this line was intended to be another skimmer line and then never got used. You can tell by removeing the cap and opening your skimmer line and see if it is in fact a suction line. Not sure if I am anywhere close but I thought I would throw it out there.
    Rick

Junior Member In the Industry

It could also be what we call a "dead line" used to drain any ground water from under the pool if you ever need to drain it to replace the liner. All you would need to do is plumb a pump to it and suck the water from beneath the pool.
    Rick