Outdoor kitchen build questions

kyle11

May 17, 2012
We are planning out outdoor kitchen/ gazebo area and are in the planning stages.

At 1st I was going to go 2x4 and fire proof with cement board but I see the grill still need a insulated liner to be fireproof. Is there any other way around this and be safe? Looks like that alone would run in the $800 range.

Also looking at aluminum framing but where can one be purchased? I only see companies that will install them but I don't need that. Would local machine shops be the best bet?

What's the downfall to each?
And what price would I be looking at for a aluminum frame only? Probably 30 or so feet of cabinet one grill place and maybe 4-6 doors and 2-3 drawers.

Wanting to make a u shape kitchen with grill on left side, tv center of u , and fridge, ice maker and sink on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should not use wood framing in the grill section, too risky with regards to fire hazard.

If you don't want to make your own frame out of metal studs you can buy frame "modules" from the BBQ Coach. Would cost a lot more than a complete DIY but also faster and easier for that phase of the build. You would complete the frame build by attaching the modules to each other. He has standard modules and will also build custom to your specs. I am not endorsing him or his product but it is an option to simplify the build. There may be others out there that offer similar services but this is the only one I know of off hand.

http://www.bbqcoach.com/modularframekits.html

Your best bet is to use metal studs, which can be purchased from most home supply shops. They are fairly cheap and easy to use! Draw it up first on paper to help calculate exactly how much you need. We build 90% of ours this way. Then face with cement board. Then tile, stucco, ect...

simple rectangle, stacked blocks, minimal cutting and concrete top

[attachment=1:2gnub5bh]patio2012.jpg[/attachment:2gnub5bh][attachment=0:2gnub5bh]patio stools 2012.jpg[/attachment:2gnub5bh]

Attachments

• patio2012.jpg
    patio2012.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 587
  • patio stools 2012.jpg
    patio stools 2012.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 583
mikeginder said:
nice job!
My concern would be soil conditions below the grill if using only concrete blocks. That's a lot of weight and if the soil is of clay composition it will likely shift during periods of rain/drought unless a proper base material was compacted prior to the stones being stacked for the kitchen.

Wood(even fire rated) is not something you want to use as the heat/cool cycle will still degrade the fire resistance of rated wood.

Galvanized or aluminum studs are easy to work with (although sharp- wear gloves) and a can be found at almost any hardware or big box store. Some stores even have stucco classes or wil provide one if asked.

4knights said:
mikeginder said:
nice job!
My concern would be soil conditions below the grill if using only concrete blocks. That's a lot of weight and if the soil is of clay composition it will likely shift during periods of rain/drought unless a proper base material was compacted prior to the stones being stacked for the kitchen.

Wood(even fire rated) is not something you want to use as the heat/cool cycle will still degrade the fire resistance of rated wood.

Galvanized or aluminum studs are easy to work with (although sharp- wear gloves) and a can be found at almost any hardware or big box store. Some stores even have stucco classes or wil provide one if asked.

You are right, that kitchen part WAS built on tamped ground and stone. Its now on a concrete slab. :wink: but the first one only took me a day or 2 to build...

Mike,

I need to know more details about those seats as well. I didn't quite follow your quick description. Can you offer a little more detail of your materials and maybe a few closer shots. I love those and they are what I originally wanted to put at my outdoor kitchen. Instead I ordered some wood stools that made it one season but I don't expect they will make it another.

Thanks,
Riles

Riles_J said:
Mike,

I need to know more details about those seats as well. I didn't quite follow your quick description. Can you offer a little more detail of your materials and maybe a few closer shots. I love those and they are what I originally wanted to put at my outdoor kitchen. Instead I ordered some wood stools that made it one season but I don't expect they will make it another.

Thanks,
Riles

i bought 6" x 6" metal swivels, had a metal guy make 7" x 7" sq. 1/8" thick metal plate and 8" long 4" sq 1/4" thick box steel, all welded together. Box steel slips over 4 x 4 treated post ( i didnt even fasten them, although i had holes drilled in the box steel) The post slide into plastic sleeves that are in the concrete.[attachment=0:2cu3vurn]tractor seat.JPG[/attachment:2cu3vurn]

Attachments

• tractor seat.JPG
    tractor seat.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 413

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.