Valve Combinations for Station Re-do

Brewer

Oct 2, 2012
Southern California
If clearing my MD clog requires lowering the pool water level to that of the two suction-line valves, I will most likely replace the two 60-year-old brass gate valves with modern "neverlube" ones. A search on the characteristics of NL three-way valves did not yield any positive answers to whether my desired upgrade is possible with only three such valves. I am therefore, soliciting advice as to the simplest configuration for achieving the following:
1. Valve (or valves) to rout either MD or skimmer suction line to the pump, both lines to the pump, or stop the flow of both lines.
2. Valve (or valves) to allow return water from the filter to either pass through the heater, or bypass it.
3. Valve (or valves) to allow water from a "T" connecting the heater & the bypass to go either directly to the pool return line, or split the
return between the pool return & the inlet to the pool cleaner's booster pump. The output line from the booster already has a PVC ball-valve
inline, to isolate the 2nd pump, so no modification is needed there.

( yes, I am a lazy B****** )

1. One 3-way valve will do that as long as the MD and skimmer lines are run to the pad.
2. One 3-way valve and an optional check valve will do that.
3. One 3-way valve will do that.

Three 3-way valves will do what you're asking.

Thanks for the reply. The leak-detector guy just departed, after finding the skimmer leak. His company also does repairs to pool plumbing, as well as residential (house & yard) plumbing. Since he had experience with repairs to pumping-station plumbing, I asked him about re-plumbing with a Jandy 3-way valves as well. Regarding the suction lines, he said the valve can be set to "proportion" the flow between the MD & skimmer lines, as well as one line or the other only, but cannot be set to isolate both lines ( so a separate down-stream ball-valve would be needed to isolate the main pump). He also did not see the need for a diverter for the heater, since the main pool return was only 1", and was the main constriction in the circuit. Proportioning the return flow between the primary return & the cleaner booster-pump was not discussed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.