Gizzmo, how to hook shop vac too it?

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
Just got my Gizzmo today in the mail. So how do i hook up the shot vac to that little hole on the gizzmo?

is that hole big enough to push the air thru? just seems like such a small hole.

do i just duct tape the shop vac to the top of the gizzmo and the air blows thru the little hole on the gizzmo?

thanks, just wanna make sure i'm doing things right?

or go to home depot and get a pvc tube that will screw into the bottom of the skimmer?

I have a 4hp craftsman shop vac, but my pool is only 5 feet deep, which will only be 4 feet deep after i drain some water. Will that be powerfull enough to blow the lines?

If it's like the skimmer protectors I've dealt with previously you don't hook the vac to it, you just put it in the skimmer after you blow out the lines so that if the water in the skimmer freezes it squishes the Gizzmo instead of cracking the skimmer. I could be wrong though and if so I'd love to know how it works!

I've read some other people just using the gizzmo to blow out the lines and then after inserting a plug into the skimmer. Will be draining 1 foot of water as i have a mesh cover and it will fill up over winter.

From the videos I have seen and the articles read, the gizmo gets some Teflonn tape on the treads then screws into the skimmer. You then attach a shop vac (blow don't suck) to the port where your pump was (before the jandy valves going to main drain and skimmer) then blow the main drains until lost of bubbles are coming out. Turn valve to shut off main drain (this is airlock) then continue to blow water out the skimmer line until you only get air. Pour some pool antifreeze into the skimmer gizmo, recap the gizmo and put part of a noodle into the skimmer around the gizmo to allow ice to crush the noodle and gizmo.

Then attach shop vac to the return line at the jandy valves, blow air and plug each return closest to pump first then each one as they are farther away. After all plugs are in turn off blower and pour some pool antifreeze in the line where you were blowing.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as my pool is still full and I have never done this before. Will be doing it as soon as I get my concrete pour done and the cover arrives.

One YouTube I saw used a plastic water bottle as an adapter - the bottle was duct taped to the hose. However the big box stores have some stepped adapters that downsize the hose that might work without duct tape etc.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Just went to home depot and got the right pvc pipe to screw into the skimmer then just gonna ducktape hose the tube. This way i'll get way more pressure from the shopvac instead of thru that tiny hole in the gizzmo

smooth2222 said:
Just went to home depot and got the right pvc pipe to screw into the skimmer then just gonna ducktape hose the tube. This way i'll get way more pressure from the shopvac instead of thru that tiny hole in the gizzmo
Are you lowering the level afterwords? If not - how do you plan to remove that pipe and put the gizzmo back to protect the skimmer without getting water into the pipe? I've seen this done on youtube with two skimmers and a pair of returns and it worked great - tiny hole and all. I think you are overthinking this.

gonna drain the water just below the returns. probably 1-1.5 feet, i have a mesh cover and the pool will be full by opening in spring.

Will put a rubber plug into the skimmer. bought the gizzmo to blow out the lines, hole is very tiny, so got a bigger one with the pvc pipe. which was only 7 bucks at home depot.

smooth2222 said:
gonna drain the water just below the returns. probably 1-1.5 feet, i have a mesh cover and the pool will be full by opening in spring.

Will put a rubber plug into the skimmer. bought the gizzmo to blow out the lines, hole is very tiny, so got a bigger one with the pvc pipe. which was only 7 bucks at home depot.

Got it. If you are dropping the levels then nevermind - the gizzmo also helps with freeze protection by providing expansion space - I didn't realize this was a non-issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.