pump wont come on but cover is on pool

May 17, 2012
tn
We have an in ground pool and my mom had a cover put on it a couple of weeks ago. We have had a lot of rain but the pump has been off for weeks so today we went to turn the pump on and it wouldnt come on. She was going to backwash some of the water out since the water level is extremely high. Any ideas as to why the pump wouldnt come on? This pool has never had a cover before but we have neglected it over the last couple of weeks. Intended on winterizing it this weekend.

When you say she had the cover put on, was this a company that did it? Did they Close the pool for winter? Call them first to find out. Then -----

Things I would check:
Is the pump connected to the plumbing, are the valves turned off, are there plugs in the returns and skimmer.
Lastly if pump was connected and no plugs in returns or skimmer then I would check the breaker to ensure there is power at the pump.

Sorry should have been more clear. Pool is not winterized still open but the cover was put on by a company a couple of weeks ago but nothing else has been done. Really cover has nothing to do with it. Pump hasnt been turned on in about a month. When I turn the pump on it just hums but doesnt do anything else. I checked the impeller but cannot turn it by hand. I read somewhere it could be the impeller (clogged) or the motor. Dunno what else to do. The unit is 5 years old, but I figured they would last longer than that. Am I wrong?

Could be a bad capacitor. Shut power off and see if you can turn the impeller by hand through the pump basket. If so, a bad cap is likely. About $20 and most pool stores or motor shops will have it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.