New Pool, New Owner (construction pics)

wrh1972

LifeTime Supporter
May 14, 2008
NYC and Upstate NY
Hi all,

I just found you this week at the tail end of my pool building process. I live in Manhattan during the week and keep a weekend house upstate by the Mass border. Last year I decided that my life wasn't complicated enough and decided to put in a pool. It's not a long swim season for us so I didn't want to make a huge investment (yeah right) so went with a straight 20x40 rectangle and a black vinyl liner.

Construction didn't start until October and we hit rock within 18 inches of the surface:

The good news is my builder managed to get through the rock without blasting. It added a week to our dig time but still manageable.

Next came the pool walls:

And our very long deep end due to a rock shelf that wouldn't budge:

But we got everything in within a few weeks. Then I learned that the most expensive aspect of my pool would not be the pool...it would be the landscaping around it. Because of the amount of rock we took out we had to truck in dirt to grade the site (dirt = cheap, trucking = expensive). I also had to truck in water as my well pump would burn out before we filled the whole pool (same equation).

We were then in November and getting pretty darn close to running out of time before the construction season ended.

This shot is from the day the bluestone coping was completed, just in the nick of time:

And now that spring is here and we're getting some glimpses of warmer weather it's time to get this pool ready to go. The pool has been uncovered and is awaiting chemical stabilization (my builder is helping with that) and clearing of all construction debris (the coping created a lot of rock dust). The lawn has been seeded and I'm third in line for patio installation (irregular bluestone). The split rail fence goes up this week and we're aiming to be open by Memorial Day. Here's what we looked like two weeks ago:

And I bet I know who's going to be first in the pool when it finally opens:

So I am completely new to pool maintenance and have been finding this board so helpful over the past few days. I went with an Intellichlor SWG and am learning all the ins and outs of pool management. I'm struggling with heater settings, hours per day to run my pump, solar covers, chemical tests -- I can see myself spending a bit of time around here as I learn what to do.

Thanks for providing such an awesome resource,

Billy (and Logan)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.