Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction, Air Tubes, Bubbles, Blower and What's Wrong?

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction, Air Tubes, Bubbles, Blower and What's Wrong?

I bought a house recently that came with a 15-year old spa built into the ground (probably a custom spa) and surrounded by brick; the bottom of the spa is probably a little below ground level. The pumps are about 25 feet away, and the pipes to the pumps are under brick as well. There are three capped air tubes near the spa (two on one side of the spa, and next to each other; and one on another side). The skimmer and drain pipes connect under the brick as well. The spa has a blower, which seems to work fine.

Problems---I don't have a lot of suction from the skimmer. And I have a lot of air bubbles in the return line.

I have checked the accessible pipe connections for leaks (most of it is underground), replaced the filter pump, and blown air through the pump line. Still the same problems.

Not sure what's going on, or how to fix it. And since I'm a novice, I don't even understand what those air tubes are supposed to be doing.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Suction, Air Tubes, Bubbles, Blower and What's Wrong?

The air tubes are connected to the return lines so you will get air bubbles in with your return jets. This will give you more jet action. If you have a low flow of water from the skimmer you may need to clean your filter

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Is there a lot of air/bubbles in the pump strainer basket?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

new filter.

as far as bubbles in the pump strainer basket, i'd say there's a lot. one way to describe it is that there's a layer of bubbles on top of the water.

if the skimmer had good suction, i wouldn't be concerned. but the suction sucks.

???????????????

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Is there a lot of air/bubbles in the pump strainer basket?

5. Back To Top    #5

and now bubbles coming out of drain. water should be drawn in, right, not bubbles coming out?

anyone?

thanks.