Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flexible vs. Hard Plumbing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Flexible vs. Hard Plumbing?

I have a sand filter with a multiport attached to my pool plumbing using hard PVC. The pool was built by previous owners and seems to have had a few repairs over the years. The plumbing as it is does not really permit removal of the multiport to do any kind of cleaning of the sand or inspection of the laterals etc.

Because of this I started wondering if it would be possible to replace some of the hard pipe with flexible pipe like you see on some AGP's. But - things work well as they are - I don't want to solve one problem and cause another. Is there a disadvantage to the flexible pipe? Is there a better way to make this more serviceable?

Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flexible vs. Hard Plumbing?

You can use unions with hard pipe.
    http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?cartl ... I_Need.htm
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    I was aware that could be done - the lower pipe on the front in the picture below has been chopped and repaired a few times and is going to need replacing a bit further back if I do that. Does that give enough clearance to lift out the entire valve assembly without stressing the hard sections of pipe beyond the unions?

4. Back To Top    #4

It would really depend on where you put the unions. If you put them a couple of inches from the multiport, you'll have enough room to disconnect the multiport and inspect everything. The only glitch I see it is the waste line, but even that should be doable. Looks like you'll need 3 unions.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    It would really depend on where you put the unions. If you put them a couple of inches from the multiport, you'll have enough room to disconnect the multiport and inspect everything. The only glitch I see it is the waste line, but even that should be doable. Looks like you'll need 3 unions.
    Oh I see - essentially leave the existing connections hard plumbed to the multiport, and add the unions back a bit. I can move the waste line back it's not that big a deal - it's only resting on the ground not attached to anything else really.

6. Back To Top    #6

Unions are large fittings and you seem (to my eyes) to have some close clearances.

First, get the diameter of the fittings you plan to use and make sure you have the clearance before cutting lines.

I didn't, and have a whopping 1/2" between the union's nut and the pressure (return) line.
    I use a strap wrench - if you don't have one, pick one up when you get the unions - ordinary pipe wrenches will not work on the unions.
    The little Sch 40 (white PVC) 1 1/2" is a bit over 6" in diameter; the sch 80 (gray PVC) 2" is about 8".
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by happyheathen
    Unions are large fittings and you seem (to my eyes) to have some close clearances.

First, get the diameter of the fittings you plan to use and make sure you have the clearance before cutting lines.

I didn't, and have a whopping 1/2" between the union's nut and the pressure (return) line.
    I use a strap wrench - if you don't have one, pick one up when you get the unions - ordinary pipe wrenches will not work on the unions.
    The little Sch 40 (white PVC) 1 1/2" is a bit over 6" in diameter; the sch 80 (gray PVC) 2" is about 8".
    yikes!

- Sent using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #8

My bad - actually, the diameters are 4 and 5", respectfully. The 1/2" stays.
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

9. Back To Top    #9

I had to offset the unions a bit to have them fit on the horizontal pipes coming out of my valve as well.

Of course you could always put the unions on the vertical pipes as well ... but you would loose the ability to easily re-torque the screw in fittings if they ever started to leak.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Of course you could always put the unions on the vertical pipes as well ... but you would loose the ability to easily re-torque the screw in fittings if they ever started to leak.
    I'm not following this - care to elaborate?

- Sent using Tapatalk

11. Back To Top    #11

If the union is on the horizontal pipes, you can unscrew the union and then you would be able to unscrew the fittings into the multi-valve or tighten them and then just screw the union back together. There is no alignment requirement in the union.

If the union was on the vertical, you can not turn the pipe and fitting still attached to the valve because then the vertical pipe would no longer be vertical and not be in line with the other half of the union.

I just redid my pad and both of the multivalve screw in fittings are dripping. But since I put the unions on the horizontal, I can either loosen the union and tighten the screw fitting. Or remove the fitting and recoat with pipe dope and try again. The union will still be in line.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Got it - thanks!

- Sent using Tapatalk