Scary Noisy Pool Pump (with video)

Hello all, I woke up this morning to a very noisy "hollow" sound coming form the Pool Pump.
Please see video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ3rH6ay ... e=youtu.be

There was also a bit of a burning smell, so I turned off the pump.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Do you think it is the bearings, motor, belt or maybe I need to "lube" the "O" rings???

If anyone has any advice or can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

lavaman said:
Thank you for your response. Um, are the bearings and the motor the same thing?

Also, what are the benefits of getting a "2 speed"?

Let me take a stab at this. The bearings are parts that keep the shaft of the motor able to turn without a lot of friction. As they wear out the shaft friction rises and eventually it can kill the motor. If you replace them (or have them replaced) chances are the rest of the motor is going to be fine.

The motor as opposed to the pump - is the entire electrical part of the pump/motor combination. The pump is called the "wet end" btw. The pump has a shaft seal on it that keeps the water out - this too will need replacement if you replace bearings or motor.

A two speed motor allows you to save $ on electricity and reduce the noise from the pump by running at a lower speed most of the time and only using high speed when needed. Running at 1/2 speed the pump takes 1/4 the electricity and pumps about 1/2 the amount of water per hour - which means that if you pump the same amount of water you use 1/4 the power for 2x as long which means you use about 1/2 the total electricity to get the same water movement.

Depending on your electrical rates you could save a considerable amount of money.

It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like the pump is not moving water. If there is no water flow, and the pump strainer is full, then I would suspect that the impeller has sheared off.

Is the pump moving water? Check the flow into the skimmers, out of the returns and the filter pressure.

I think that the motor is probably at the end of its useful life. Your best choice is likely to be a new motor, or pump.

Also, it looks like the equipment gets very strong sunlight exposure. Providing shade to the motor, without restricting airflow, will help it to run cooler, and last longer.

Yes, it IS moving water. We have a waterfall feature and it's working and the skimmer is pushing water into it and all. I emptied the strainer on Monday.
I saw a few "pumps" online for around $200 to $300. Should I just buy a new pump or get the pool guy to come over and try and fix this one (or have him change the bearings or put in a new motor)?

I just don't want to get the runaround from the pool guy and get overcharged for anything. I'd like to kind of know what I'm talking about when he comes over.

Thank you all for your help.

JamesW said:
It's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like the pump is not moving water. If there is no water flow, and the pump strainer is full, then I would suspect that the impeller has sheared off.

Is the pump moving water? Check the flow into the skimmers, out of the returns and the filter pressure.

I think that the motor is probably at the end of its useful life. Your best choice is likely to be a new motor, or pump.

Also, it looks like the equipment gets very strong sunlight exposure. Providing shade to the motor, without restricting airflow, will help it to run cooler, and last longer.

A lot depends on the specifics of your situation. Such as pool size, pool usage, filter size, water feature requirements, electrical rates etc. If the motor is over five years old, is making a loud noise, is getting too hot, and smells like it's burning, then it is not worth repairing. It's likely that you would do better with a smaller pump, a two speed motor or a two speed new pump.

On the motor you should have a number that tells HP (horse power), and one that tells SF (Service Factor). Multiple those numbers together. That is the number that really matters. (pool-school/pool_pump_basics)

It's usually cheaper to just change out the motor, if there is nothing wrong with the wet end. From your video, it sounds like motor issue only. If your a DIY person it is possible to change out the bearings only. Some places sell rebuilt motors (for example http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/3308383422.html) (No affiliation I did a quick craigslist check.) Some places you can bring in your motor end and they'll swap out the impeller and install a new seal and you reinstall it.

A rebuilt motor typically goes for 1/2 the price of a new one. Rebuilds depend on the quality of parts and who does it. Some places also offer a 90 day warranty. Some people don't replace the seal, that's a big no-no. Always replace the pump seal when replacing the motor.

Hope the info helps.

Thanks guys. I've called around and found a place that sells the exact same motor as mine for $235 (new), while a pool guy in town can rebuild mine for $250. :shock:
I currently have an A.O Smith - 1.5HP (see attached photo).

I also found a place where I can get a 2 speed motor for $311 (that will fit my current setup):
http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.com/E ... _4367.html

Is Emerson a decent brand? Are these easy to install?

Thanks again for everyones help. :-D

bobodaclown said:
On the motor you should have a number that tells HP (horse power), and one that tells SF (Service Factor). Multiple those numbers together. That is the number that really matters. (pool-school/pool_pump_basics)

It's usually cheaper to just change out the motor, if there is nothing wrong with the wet end. From your video, it sounds like motor issue only. If your a DIY person it is possible to change out the bearings only. Some places sell rebuilt motors (for example http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/3308383422.html) (No affiliation I did a quick craigslist check.) Some places you can bring in your motor end and they'll swap out the impeller and install a new seal and you reinstall it.

A rebuilt motor typically goes for 1/2 the price of a new one. Rebuilds depend on the quality of parts and who does it. Some places also offer a 90 day warranty. Some people don't replace the seal, that's a big no-no. Always replace the pump seal when replacing the motor.

Hope the info helps.

Attachments

• Pump_Stickers.jpg
    Pump_Stickers.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 92

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That motor you listed would work. You'd need a switch to switch between hi/low speed or a 2 speed timer. Remember when you replace the motor you'll need to purchase a seal and if you go with a 2 speed you'll also need a 2 speed switch or 2 speed timer.

So the delta between the two motors with timer changes etc might be around $150 or so. How much is your electricity per Kw/h? How many hours a day do you run the pump today? What water features (if any) do you have and do you have solar? Do you use a suction side cleaner?

With these things in mind you can figure out the payback period...

Hi UnderWaterVanya,

- Our electricity per Kw/h is: $0.1010
- I run the pool about 6 1/2 hours per day.
- We have a water feature (not a total waterfall, but close to one).
- We do not have solar
- We have an Hayward R2D2 vacuum cleaner suction thingie that plugs into the side of the pool while it cleans the bottom.

Oh, and I actually found an AO Smith 2 speed pump as well. I heard they are a better brand, so I'll probably get this one:
http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.com/A ... _4344.html

UnderWaterVanya said:
So the delta between the two motors with timer changes etc might be around $150 or so. How much is your electricity per Kw/h? How many hours a day do you run the pump today? What water features (if any) do you have and do you have solar? Do you use a suction side cleaner?

With these things in mind you can figure out the payback period...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.