Redo Brick Coping

May 14, 2012
Our new pool was just completed however we have been advised by the paver installer that they need to redo the brick bullnose coping. When initially done the installers grouted the coping while others were cutting pavers for the deck. They believe dust got into the grout, grout is very discolored. They want to take out current brick coping and install new coping and grout. My concern is damage to our pool. Would we need to empty the pool? They said we would just need to lower the water about a foot. Wouldnt the dust be a nightmare? I just don't want to compound onto an existing problem with more problems. Any advice would be great!

Here is a picture of the discolored grout. Also, it started to rain before grout was dry so the installer is not sure if this caused the discoloration as well.

Attachments

• cop2.JPG
    cop2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 185
If you like the brick, why don't you attempt to clean it first. If that doesn't work perhaps use a dye to change the color.

There's a house close to me that had their tile replaced and instead of replacing the 40 year old concrete coping they had it dyed a darker color.

I say drain the pool...makes life simple..

BTW... I did not notice any sealing between the coping and the deck...You'll be sorry in a few years...i found out the hard way, costing thousands in repairs.

sunngurrl said:
Masong, what do you mean by sealing?

I found out the hard way... Lets see if I can explain

The coping is applied to the pool wall (called beam wall)

Your deck, where it bumps up to the coping, should be a complete seperate enity from the pool...( it should also be sealed to keep water out of that area)
A
This is obtained by an expansion joint between the two..Allowing them to move, heave, or expand as needed without the deck pushing against the coping and causing it to break its bond.

What type of decking do you have?? Concrete, pavers over a sand fill , or what ???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.