Done!! in Corpus Christi, TX.

savela

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2012
Been planning on this one for quite awhile. Drawing pics, perusing sites and accumulating ideas. After witnessing the neighbors kids swimming and enjoying, my wife and I decided to pull the trigger. Choosing a pool builder was the easy part - asked around. Went with Pools by Brad here in Corpus - have not been disappointed. From what I've gathered, the builder can make a totally enjoyable process painful - they have been outstanding. At any rate, enjoy.

19' x 37' freeform, 632 sq feet, 15,400 gal, 3'-5'-3.5'
4 returns, 2 bubblers, 2 skimmers, dual main drain
2 Pentair laminar jets
Baja ledge 7'
Smaller ledge with bench and step
3 small steps in deep end of pool
Step underneath hot tub overflow
Sunstone finish, stone coping, 6" waterline tile, tile edged steps, tile covered bench
Otherwise mostly Hayward stuff: Salt System, Pro Logic PS8, 2 120V LED lights, 1.5hp pump, sand or cartridge filter, booster pump for cleaner

6' x 8' freeform hot tub, 43 sq feet, 600 gal
Raised with water overflow into small rock river fall
Stone sides and spillway, glass waterline tile wrap over inner edge, tile trimmed seats
5 spa jets
2 HP blower
120V LED light
400,000 btu gas heater w/ electric ignition
Kool Deck with Chicago brick surround and expansion joints

I will also be landscaping as well - see below, to include a 17.5 sq foot cedar pergola.

Attachments

• IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 1,228
  • IMG_2042.JPG
    IMG_2042.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,228
  • IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 1,228
Re: Underway in Corpus Christi, TX.

The process between dig and gunite was only 2 weeks (gunite scheduled for 10/11) - this included a one week rain delay!

Attachments

• IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 1,161
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 1,161
  • IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 1,161

Moving along quite fast. Amazing how efficient this team was - the dig guys are subcontractors and do all of this work in our city. The majority of the other guys are employed by Pools By Brad. They have their own team and in addition to the diggers, the only other subcontractors are the gunite guys....I think. Nice to have someone on site who sees the 'big picture' IMHO.

Attachments

• IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 1,169
  • IMG_1937.jpg
    IMG_1937.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 1,163
  • IMG_1938.jpg
    IMG_1938.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 1,161

Ready for gunite!!! I've read quite a bit regarding not enough steel, drain/return/skimmer placement etc and from what I can tell, looks like they did a great job. If anyone of you guys see something out of the ordinary or room for improvement, I would love to hear from you. It appears there are 2 main drains and another set of 'drains' that will actually serve to collect (?) water for the 2 Pentair Laminar jets. The 2 returns above the baja bench will be on the same circuit (?) as the jets so the flow can be diverted to control the stream of water coming out of the laminars - seems logical to me as the motor will be either on or off. I've studied all of this stuff and am pleased although I am far from experienced....first and likely last pool.

Attachments

• IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 1,169
  • IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 1,167
  • IMG_2052.JPG
    IMG_2052.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 1,167

A little complicated here. Looks like dual drain, one water inflow and one air inflow??? Using Pentair housing but Hayward LED's. Gunite tomorrow!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2050.JPG
    IMG_2050.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 1,166
  • IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2049.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 1,166

Is that an outdoor kitchen off the side of your house? You have a really nice setup and it will be over the top when the pool is done. Good thing is that you are in Texas and we can almost swim year around.

Good eye! That was our last project (4 years ago). We spend a lot of time out there so we're really looking forward to the pool area. You're right - we're are only occasionally below freezing and should be able to swim most of the year. Thanks for the nice comment.

From my experience, it really doesn't matter if the workers are employed directly by the builder. Even the largest pool builders rarely have full time subs. They just don't build enough pools to keep them busy. I'd rather have a steel crew that works several pools a week (working for different pool builders) than a crew that does one a week.

My only criticism is the use of flex hose on the suction side. Historically, flex hose reliablilty isn't very good. If it incased in the gunite on the pressure side it cannot swell or do anything too terrible. However, the suction side can become restrictive if it was to collapse. There are some other pro's and con's to flex pvc but mostly to the advantage of the installer.

Oh. I'll have to ask about that. I'll assume it works for them a they've been on the business for many years. No issue with regard to contractors vs subcontractors, agree skill is more important but I do like having them on site everyday.

With regard to the flex tubing...is it prone to kinking with the suction? Is it better in areas with more expansion or contraction due to clay heavy soil??

Cheers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

There are threads, from time to time, about the use of flex PVC. On the positive side is it is easier and quicker to install. While trickier to glue, there are less connection points to leak. AFAIK, the soil doesn't make a difference. Some builder won't use it. Some limit it's use to pressure side of the spa. Some use it all over. It's not likely to fail quickly.

The main concern is deterioration. There was a thread a few week ago about returns not working and a pool leak. Long story short, a line repair, under the decking, had been made with flex. The connection was leaking but the suprising part to me was the line had swelled up like a cantelope. Some would blame pour water chemistry attacking the flex but rigid pvc doesn't seem to have the same weakness to chemicals or improper ph.

Well, gunite done! Showed up bright and early (actually still dark) and were done by noon. Really happy with how it turned out. Wish the shallow end had a bit more flat area...the steps ate up a good portion of it. Anybody know if there is a way to address that after the fact? Can more concrete be added or the existing concrete ground down a bit?? Not a biggie really. Obviously the flex tubing thing is water under the bridge - I'll discuss with pool builder to see what he says but will ask that sand be used instead of crushed stone where it runs underneath the kool deck.

Attachments

• IMG_2067.JPG
    IMG_2067.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 1,076
  • IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 1,077
  • IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,077

More pics! Notice the rounded edges on the spa - hope to 'wrap' the glass tile over it for a comfy feel. Will post a pic of the spa I <ahem> borrowed the idea from.

Attachments

• IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 1,075
  • IMG_2069.JPG
    IMG_2069.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 1,076
  • IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 1,076

Spa edge idea. Choosing tile tomorrow!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 8.33.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 8.33.12 PM.png
    491.2 KB · Views: 1,077

I wouldn't worry yourself about the plumbing. Mostly likely it's like cars. You hear about a few anecdotal failures and never about the thousands of trouble free ones.

You first pics didn't show the spa being elevated. Obviously it is. What type of surface will the water cascade down?

Yea. Most of what I read does back up others' assessment here - likely not an issue but why take the chance. I trust these guys. As for the spa, the spillover or whatever will be a rock type deal with 'small' boulders on either side. Not sure that's been finalized but most certainly rock.

Just a tip on those small glass glow-in-the-dark tiles, the blue ones glow green and the pale green ones glow blue. DAMHIK

[attachment=0:ie14boih]GlowTiles.jpg[/attachment:ie14boih]

Attachments

• GlowTiles.jpg
    GlowTiles.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,017

Flippy - they're moving right along. Chose tile today and they'll start Monday...I'll post pics of my selections shortly. As for the spa, yes, they will be wrapping the waterline tile over the inner edge just like in the pic, meeting up with stone. I think it looks great and should be quite comfortable.

BigDave - like the glow in the dark tiles. Is this something you can cover a step with or just use on the bottom of the pool? I ask because I'll likely tile my baja ledge as well as 2 benches with glass tile and want to make sure it won't be too slippery. They're 1x1" tiles so plenty of grout....

Tile selections. Don't have the tile thats going on the spa.

Attachments

• mas_mr-150.jpg
    mas_mr-150.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 996
  • 201-024_golden_bronze_34x34_glass_pool_tile.268120010_large.jpg
    201-024_golden_bronze_34x34_glass_pool_tile.268120010_large.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 999

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.