pucks without CYA?

MIKEC5

May 5, 2008
is there such a thing as a 3" puck that does not have CYA in it?
i am looking at going BBB and testing the water, and skimming daily and the pucks seem so easy (except for the CYA issue). if they only made one without it i would feed a lot better about using it. my CYA levels are below 20PPM so i think i am safe to use it for a few more weeks. but after it's gone i would like to stay with the pucks but only if i can get CYA free ones.

tks,
Mc5

in a word NO, the reason is that the chemical, trichlor, is the slowest dissolving form of chlorine so it is effective in a puck. The next slowest dissolving chlorine is cal hypo which does not have CYA BUT it does cause calcium hardness to increase. It has been made into capsules or tablets to be used in a skimmer (CANNOT BE USED IN A TRICHLOR FEEDER OR FLOATER>>>IT CAN EXPLODE IF YOU DO!!!!!)However, most people who try them are not very happy with them since they only last for a short while, maybe 2 days and they are gone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.