Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pucks without CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

pucks without CYA?

is there such a thing as a 3" puck that does not have CYA in it?
    i am looking at going BBB and testing the water, and skimming daily and the pucks seem so easy (except for the CYA issue). if they only made one without it i would feed a lot better about using it. my CYA levels are below 20PPM so i think i am safe to use it for a few more weeks. but after it's gone i would like to stay with the pucks but only if i can get CYA free ones.

tks,
    Mc5
    Southern Girls Pool- In ground, 18X36 vinyl liner, approx 27K gallons with sand filter, booster pump for polaris, and Jandy gas heater in Mississippi

2. Back To Top    #2
    in a word NO, the reason is that the chemical, trichlor, is the slowest dissolving form of chlorine so it is effective in a puck. The next slowest dissolving chlorine is cal hypo which does not have CYA BUT it does cause calcium hardness to increase. It has been made into capsules or tablets to be used in a skimmer (CANNOT BE USED IN A TRICHLOR FEEDER OR FLOATER>>>IT CAN EXPLODE IF YOU DO!!!!!)However, most people who try them are not very happy with them since they only last for a short while, maybe 2 days and they are gone!

3. Back To Top    #3

Mc5,

Consider using The Liquidator talked about in this thread. You'll only need to refill it once a week with chlorinating liquid or bleach so it's at least as convenient as Trichlor but without adding the CYA.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Mc5,

Consider using The Liquidator talked about in this thread. You'll only need to refill it once a week with chlorinating liquid or bleach so it's at least as convenient as Trichlor but without adding the CYA.

Richard
    Much Thanks!
    Southern Girls Pool- In ground, 18X36 vinyl liner, approx 27K gallons with sand filter, booster pump for polaris, and Jandy gas heater in Mississippi