Replacing Pool Pump Motor

MarkWK

Oct 9, 2012
I have a Pentair Pinnacle 1 HP 1.25 SF pool pump motor. The label on it reads: Part O-177474-01 FR P56Y Type CX Form KJM RPM3450 H260 Code J Amps 7.1 1/4 2 Volts 230/115 HZ 60 1081 Pool Pump Duty Mount Horiz with Vent Holes Down
Have been shopping online and most retailers agree that an A.O. Smith UQC1102 would be a suitable and energy efficient replacement for my current motor. However, I have one company telling me that since my current motor is a 56Y frame, I can't use the 48Y frame on the UQC1102. I have another company telling me the exact opposite - that there's no problem switching from the 56Y to the smaller 48Y frame. Before I get into RMAs, return shipping and restocking fees I'd like to get the REAL truth from somebody that knows from experience. Can I downgrade frame size; is UQC 1102 a suitable replacement and energy efficient as advertised and if not: what 56Y frame would be a compatible and energy efficient replacement? Any help will be greatly appreciated as my pump motor took its last gasp today.
Mark

The most energy efficient replacement would be a 2-speed motor. Is your current pump wired up as 115V or 230V? The sticker indicates it could be either. What kind of breaker is it on?

I found this tidbit at poolcenter.com:
56Y / 48Y Frame - Threaded Shaft Square Flange Pool & Spa Pump Motor
Important: 56Y frame Square Flange motors are 1/2" wider (body diameter) than 48Y frame with Identical hole Spacings on the Flange. They are inter-changeable.

FYI:
USQ1102R is the 230V 2-speed version
USQ1102RR/B9801 is the 115V 2-speed version

What is your pool setup? You may be able to just put a manual switch on the speed and leave it on Low most of the time and switch to high for vacuuming, backwashing, etc.

Not exactly sure about wiring. There are two breaker switches, but only one of them actually turns the motor off, so I'm guessing that means there's just one live 115 line. I talked to pool guy about 2-speed, but like you said, it either requires a different timer and/or a manual switch. He did say a variable speed motor eliminates those problems, but I don't know why. At any rate, I'm more interested in just dropping in a better motor that fits without having to do much of anything else. The motor I have now is over 10 years old and has been rebuilt at least once. I was all ready to get the UQC1102 until I got two different stories about whether a 48Y frame could be substituted for a 56Y. From all I can find, including your link, I'm beginning to think the guy that told me I couldn't downsize it had an ulterior motive to sell me a more expensive motor and that a 48Y will do just fine. I just don't want to make a mistake and get into all the hassle of RMAs, return and restocking fees if I get the wrong motor....

VS motors have timers built into them. But they cost a lot more than just a motor and if your electric cost is low and you have no special water flow needs, then you may never break even.

If you are not concerned with the electric costs, then a single speed is the cheapest option.

Don't forget to get a new seal kit.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.