Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph level for winterization?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph level for winterization?

I have a 1 year old gunite pool. What level should my ph be at for winterization. What other chemicals do I need to add?
    Brent Hart
    12,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump/SWG Combo(2650 gph),
    Hayward WM Skimmer, all hard PVC plumbed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ph level for winterization?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeache
    I have a 1 year old gunite pool. What level should my ph be at for winterization. What other chemicals do I need to add?
    Pool School has an answer...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. Check out pool school for guidelines for pH. Before we can suggest adding anything, you will want to post a complete set of test results.....you may need very little or you may need a lot.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I understand the pool chemistry and I keep at the optimal levels. I wasnt sure if the ph level should be lowered in anticipation of it going up being that its fairly new gunite. I also wasnt sure if you add an algaecide.
    Brent Hart
    12,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Metal Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump/SWG Combo(2650 gph),
    Hayward WM Skimmer, all hard PVC plumbed

5. Back To Top    #5

mikeache:

Winterizing a pool is one of the situations where using algaecide is recommended. The preferred algaecide is Polyquat 60 which is a trade name for the chemical makeup of that algaecide. It is available from several vendors. If you were to do an internet search on Polyquat 60, you will see that it is widely available.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

While I do not have an in-ground pool, I have looked after one and currently have an above ground pool. To close it, I elevate the chlorine levels to about 10 ppm, adjust the pH levels to between 7.2 - 7.6 and cover the pool with a solid opaque and leak-proof cover; All I get in my pool over the winter is a little dust, no algae and the water is clean, just turn the pump on and do a light vacuum in the spring; the cover is the most important contributor to my success, no need for algecide. For an in-ground pool, getting the water off the cover will be a little more work, but it is worth it.
    15-foot above ground pool, Hayward Turbo-Flow pump with sand filter, use liquid chlorine, Metchlor Caddy pool chlorinator; Metchlor Caddy also used for automatically adding muriatic acid; winterize with light and water resistant cover.