How many inches (to drain) below the lowest opening?

Jul 26, 2012
All set to close TODAY... had to order a new cover so NOW we are ready to close :) WE are down 4" below the lowest opening (return)

How many inches below the lowest drain/return must it be? Is it 6" ? Does anyone know why not 4"?
Not sure if it matters, we are in the Midwest in the snowbelt (100" of snow a season not unusual)

Oh and an additional ? Should we allow for the cover to go down the inside of the pool wall, on the water. All the videos on youtube don't allow for that.

Water is 51degrees today :goodjob: Took a long time to get in the 50's, we were using it last month with the heater. :-D

TIA. Love a BBB pool!!!

I'm doing my first closing this weekend, so I am hardly an expert, but have been reading the forum for a several months and here is what I think:

6 inches instead of 4 allows more room for expansion when things freeze. The other thing to consider is that when that cover gets weighted down with water/ice/snow it is going to push the water in the pool up the walls. I think you do need some slack in the cover. This may not be a legitimate concern, but I would be afraid with the lower water level and a tight as a drum cover over the top that the weight from any water could cause a wall to buckle.

Hopefully more experienced others will chime in.

Are you talking about an in ground? I don't drop the level when I close my in ground pool. The cover should sit on the water with it going all the way to the wall so it makes a 90 degree turn toward the coping. Do not pull it tight so the cover slopes up toward the coping.

I've been plugging the return and using a winter cover for my skimmer for a few years. I do drain it a bit but only enough so the water doesn't expand or get pushed above the liner. Although it did happen one year...lol. Leaving the water higher puts less stress on the cover in my opinion. You can also buy over sized covers which is probably a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.