Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How many inches (to drain) below the lowest opening?

1. Back To Top    #1

How many inches (to drain) below the lowest opening?

All set to close TODAY... had to order a new cover so NOW we are ready to close WE are down 4" below the lowest opening (return)

How many inches below the lowest drain/return must it be? Is it 6" ? Does anyone know why not 4"?
    Not sure if it matters, we are in the Midwest in the snowbelt (100" of snow a season not unusual)

Oh and an additional ? Should we allow for the cover to go down the inside of the pool wall, on the water. All the videos on youtube don't allow for that.

Water is 51degrees today Took a long time to get in the 50's, we were using it last month with the heater.

TIA. Love a BBB pool!!!
    "VegMaPa" in the Midwest - a "NEWBIE"-opened pool July 2012
    AG Silverstone 24' Round x 52" -13,500GAL VINYL -ABOVE GROUND
    ClearWater Cartridge Filter CW65XL100SDBH (or is it W90, W120?) -Vortex XL150S 1.5HP Pump
    Hayward LP Gas Heater H150 .....LOVE TFP, crystal clear pool going on our 4th year!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many inches (to drain) below the lowest opening?

I'm doing my first closing this weekend, so I am hardly an expert, but have been reading the forum for a several months and here is what I think:

6 inches instead of 4 allows more room for expansion when things freeze. The other thing to consider is that when that cover gets weighted down with water/ice/snow it is going to push the water in the pool up the walls. I think you do need some slack in the cover. This may not be a legitimate concern, but I would be afraid with the lower water level and a tight as a drum cover over the top that the weight from any water could cause a wall to buckle.

Hopefully more experienced others will chime in.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

It looks like my neighbor's pool was only drained just below the skimmer. The winter cover is laying diretlY on the water. It was winterized by the installer. Should they be concerned?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you talking about an in ground? I don't drop the level when I close my in ground pool. The cover should sit on the water with it going all the way to the wall so it makes a 90 degree turn toward the coping. Do not pull it tight so the cover slopes up toward the coping.
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

No, it's an above ground.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I've been plugging the return and using a winter cover for my skimmer for a few years. I do drain it a bit but only enough so the water doesn't expand or get pushed above the liner. Although it did happen one year...lol. Leaving the water higher puts less stress on the cover in my opinion. You can also buy over sized covers which is probably a good idea.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)