Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: "Mold" in a Tile Shower - Can I use Calcium Hypochlorite?

1. Back To Top    #1

"Mold" in a Tile Shower - Can I use Calcium Hypochlorite?

I have some persistent "mold" (perhaps black algae?) in my shower that needs to go away. Bleach sprays and mold sprays don't seem to really get rid of it. A lot of the mold is in the caulk - so my plan is to treat around the caulk, strip the caulk and then treat again with no caulk - and finally add new caulk.

I was thinking and wondered if I could safely use calcium hypochlorite and make a high concentration chlorine paste to spot treat this stuff.

Previous treatments have been over a month or two ago and used sodium hypocholorite as far as I know.

Thoughts?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: "Mold" in a Tile Shower - Can I use Calcium Hypochlorite

Cal Hypo would be fine but, more importantly, we know that chlorine, in any of it's forms, kills algae. The issue with shower mold is the chlorine can't get to it.....not that there is some super resistant strain growing in showers.

So, stripping the caulk to expose the algae to chlorine is essential. IMO, chlorine in liquid form penetrates the best......you simply have to provide a path so you can make direct contact and then do some physical brushing to expose the algae surfaces.

In short, I don't see any benefit to Cal Hypo in that application.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm often faced with this problem too. But just like the shock process for a pool, don't forget you need to keep hitting it with Bleach spray hard, not just once or twice.

4. Back To Top    #4

If the black is around the seam where the tile meets the tub, I have a solution for you: paper towels. I found that rolling a paper towel into a tube then wetting it with household bleach and packing it along the seam will leave the caulk gleaning white in a couple hours. I got in the habit of re-wetting it with bleach at least once while it sat there. When you peel them up, it's scarcely better than paper mache, but the caulk sure is clean.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    If the black is around the seam where the tile meets the tub, I have a solution for you: paper towels. I found that rolling a paper towel into a tube then wetting it with household bleach and packing it along the seam will leave the caulk gleaning white in a couple hours. I got in the habit of re-wetting it with bleach at least once while it sat there. When you peel them up, it's scarcely better than paper mache, but the caulk sure is clean.
    That's a great idea - but in this case the black goes through the caulk also. I'm going to rip it out - and maybe use your idea to make sure I keep bleach in contact with the area. Thanks. I just liked the simplicity of a paste but since I only have sodium hypochlorite, dichlor and trichlor I don't see the benefit of running out and buying some calcium hypochlorite too. The dichlor and trichlor came from before I knew any better... luckily I bought small quantities.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump