clogged main drain

Brewer

Oct 2, 2012
Southern California
Has anyone here used a pressure washer & Clog Hog to clear a stubborn clogged main drain? The Drain King rubber do-dad at 50 psi won't budge my current obstruction. I can't dive to get to the MD inlet (way too old). My MD valve at the pad is 5' below water surface level, so I have plenty of gravity head, once the clog is broken. I couldn't find information on length of Clog Hog, but my MD inlet is about 25' from the valve. Once I break the clog, I will have to quickly re-assemble the gate valve, or I will lose all the water in the pool. I have plenty of experience on that score, as I have removed plenty of crud from the valve in the past without losing more than one or two gallons.

When I unclog stubborn pine cones etc from a MD that didn't have a cover after my air blower didn't work I used a hayward superpumps exhaust to clear blockage. You might be able to do this yourself by temporarily reversing the plumbing on your system to blow the exhaust of your current pool motor into the main drain plumbing.

That sounds like a good idea, particularly since the pump would have to deal only with the MD and no other plumbing. Also, when the clog breaks, the resulting "deluge" ( my pad is below sea-level ) would be impeded by the impeller. Capping off the basket port ( normally the inlet ) would stop the flow until I closed the MD gate valve. The main problem, is that the Tristar has a horizontal inlet and vertical outlet. I currently have no unions or o-ring type valves ( with union-like connections ) in either the suction or return plumbing. To temporarily re-plumb would be extensive.
On the other hand, if I decide to do a major re-do of the pool setup ( re-tile, re-plaster, replace the gate valves with Jandys ) I will have to drain the pool & cut away the pad plumbing anyway. With the MD pipe open, a temporary connection of the pump to the MD pipe will allow me to use it to blow either water or air into it to dislodge the clog.

Garry

You can try a sump pump designed for pumping out basement water, they have somewhat similar power and prime quickly you could use a flexible hose like for an above ground pool and hold it into place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.