Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add some DE to a sandfilter

1. Back To Top    #1

South Central PA

Add some DE to a sandfilter

I heard that you could add some DE to a sand filter to improve filtrations
    From what I understand you take a 1/3 of a cup of DE mix with water and add to your skimmer.
    You do this process untill you get a 1psi increase at the filter. Than when you backwash you
    add new DE.

Please comment if this really works or is a bad idea

13,500 gallon AGP, 1-1/2hp pump 150# sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    I do it, I add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup to my filter and it does wonderfully. I actually raises it about 3 psi, but that's not alot. When I backwash I add 1/4 to 1/3 again, until the psi goes back up. It filters better, it filters out algae etc faster, and is just all around better.
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yes, adding DE to a sand filter works well. I suggest adding 1/4 cup of DE mixed into a pail of water to the skimmer, give it five minutes to settle down and then check the pressure increase. Repeat this process till the pressure has gone up 1 psi. After the first time you can simply put the correct amount in all at once (premixed into a bucket of water). If you have a skimmer sock be sure to remove the skimmer sock, or entire basket, while adding the DE.

If you are getting a 3 psi increase in pressure, try using less DE next time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sorry, I am a complete novice....what is DE?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [i][color=#BF0040]27' x 52"....1.5 HP hayward pump 200lb sand filter.....finally building our deck :)

5. Back To Top    #5
    D to the E is Diatamaceous Earth