Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Small pump I found....

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    334

    Small pump I found....

    As I was poking around the pool shed to see if previous owners left anything else behind that may come in handy for winterizing, I came across a small water pump.

    (I believe it is this one: http://www.flotecpump.com/ResidentialPr ... 360AC.aspx)


    There is a sticker on it that advises to pour oil into the inlet prior to each use. I assume this would be to lube the impeller? What kind of oil should I use though, small engine oil? Olive oil? Any kind of oil? The manual I found online was silent on this.

    My guess is this would have been used for draining in prep for winter and also to pump water off the cover, agree?
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    334

    Re: Small pump I found....

    Well, since this has stumped everyone I don't feel so silly! I was able to find an instructional video related to this pump and it mentioned the use of mineral oil. That would suggest to me that any type of motor oil might be too thick, so I am probably going to go with vegetable oil or some sort of cooking oil if I cannot locate mineral oil.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

  3. Back To Top    #3

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    406

    Re: Small pump I found....

    Motor oil is not generally something you want to pump into the environment, no matter how small.
    Mineral oil is a environmentally safe product.
    Most any hardware store, many grocery stores, CVS/Walgreen type stores should carry this.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,589

    Re: Small pump I found....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls234
    Well, since this has stumped everyone I don't feel so silly! I was able to find an instructional video related to this pump and it mentioned the use of mineral oil. That would suggest to me that any type of motor oil might be too thick, so I am probably going to go with vegetable oil or some sort of cooking oil if I cannot locate mineral oil.
    Veg/Cooking oil decomposes easily and goes rancid. Mineral oil is available in grocery stores, drug stores, etc.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: Small pump I found....

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Veg/Cooking oil decomposes easily and goes rancid. Mineral oil is available in grocery stores, drug stores, etc.
    I put vegetable oil in mine, it's a similar pump. Mine only holds a very small amount. Going strong 3 years now (runs about 14 hours/yr )
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

  6. Back To Top    #6
    UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,589

    Re: Small pump I found....

    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Veg/Cooking oil decomposes easily and goes rancid. Mineral oil is available in grocery stores, drug stores, etc.
    I put vegetable oil in mine, it's a similar pump. Mine only holds a very small amount. Going strong 3 years now (runs about 14 hours/yr )
    YMDV (Your Mileage Did Vary)

    I'm not surprised that it worked - but I'm not recommending it either.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    334

    Re: Small pump I found....

    Good to know, now I just hope the pump actually works!
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •