how to close a pool? some questions

smooth2222

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
michigan
I have already read pool closing in pool school, just have some questions.

15,000 gallons pool with spa.
suction side, skimmer and 2 drains at the bottom of the pool.
return side, 2 pool returns and 6 spa returns and main return in spa.

1. What do i use to hook my shop vac to the skimmer so it fits?
2. how do i blow out the main suction drains without water going back into them from the pool? (guessing i turn the valve to suction from skimmer only as i'm blowing it out?) how do i get the pool antfreeze into the main suction drain lines?

hope qeustion 2 isn't to confusing. lol

thanks

steve

1. You will probably have to visit the hardware store and find some kind of plumbing fitting that works best and if it's slightly too small you can build up the thicnkess with duct tape. Pool guys actually use a blower (usually called the cyclone vac) and it typically uses 1.5" flexible hosing and I have a fitting on me that reduces it to 1.25 when needed.
2. Yeah, you kinda got the idea. you blow air into the main drain plumbing until you start to see bubbles coming from the drains and then you quickly turn off the valve for that line to trap the air from escaping and therefore the water can't fill the line since the air can't escape (when you do this keep an ear out for a hissing or sizzling sound of air escaping past the valve which is common, if this happens you can try to put a rubber plug to backup the valve and if that doesn't stop the sound then you are getting into cutting in front of the valve) You don't get antifreeze into a main drain (i suppose it would be technically possible but not really worth while unless you plug the maindrain at the bottom of the pool because if you didn't it would just dilute into the pool._

There are 2 kinds of gizzmos the solid kind and the blow through kind. basically a gizzmo is just a threaded plug with a big hollow tube attached. The hollow tube is designed to take squeeze of the winter freeze so your skimmers body isn't getting squeezed. The blow through kind has a small hole that would probably be best suited for an air compressor. I use the solid kind. blow the skimmer then plug it with the gizzmo. Please keep in mind that gizzmo's aren't as good as SP1022C plugs when it comes to sealing. the sp1022c plug will seal much tighter and more torque can be applied to it. Every pool has a different setup but if your MD and skimmer were connected in a way that the backpressure from the MD could reach the skimmer then I would use the sp1022c plug and use something else for expansion in the skimmer like pool noodles, anti-freeze jug with a bunch of stones added etc.

Sometimes a rubber plug needs to be used, sometimes the threads in the skimmer are too shallow to use a threaded plug. If you can get a threaded plug to work it's better than rubber in my opinion

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.