Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: quick ESTIMATE of turnover time?

1. Back To Top    #1

quick ESTIMATE of turnover time?

I know, I know, there's no easy answer. I'd just like a reasonable estimate for starting, so I don't go for weeks and weeks after starting with a gross over-estimate.

So for those of you who have lots of experience, can you offer a starting point for me?

24,500 gal plaster, 2 skimmers and 2 returns in the deep end (though they join somewhere) for a total of 3 return lines to the pump. Pump platform sits just a few inches higher than the pool. 3/4 HP Whisperflo single speed. Summer temps up to 110F, winter down to 40F.

Thanks for any educated guesses.
    24000 Gal in ground plaster pool. Pentair FNS 35 DE grid filter. 3/4 HP single speed pump.

400 Gal Hot Spring spa. Fiberglass.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: quick ESTIMATE of turnover time?

Quick estimate is 50 gpm, or 3000 Gal/Hr.
    24,500/3000 = approx 8 hours for 1 turnover.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    Quick estimate is 50 gpm, or 3000 Gal/Hr.
    24,500/3000 = approx 8 hours for 1 turnover.
    Thank you!
    24000 Gal in ground plaster pool. Pentair FNS 35 DE grid filter. 3/4 HP single speed pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

On 2" plumbing the Whisperflo will probably deliver over 80 GPM.

What size is your pipe size, what type/size filter do you have and what is the filter pressure?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    On 2" plumbing the Whisperflo will probably deliver over 80 GPM.

What size is your pipe size, what type/size filter do you have and what is the filter pressure?
    2" pipes. Pentair FNS Plus DE filter, 36 sq. ft. Pressure is currently 12 psi (8 psi when freshly coated with DE). If it makes any difference the "Service Factor" on the 3/4 HP WhisperFlo is 1.67.

6. Back To Top    #6

At 8 PSI, I get around 96 GPM and 11 PSI, around 91 GPM.

But that pressure seems a little low for that setup up. What size are the eyeballs (diameter)? Also, what size mult-port valve is on the filter?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

The filter has a 2" slide valve on the side ports (to redirect flow for backwash). I'm not certain what you mean by the "eyeballs." Do you mean the check valves? There are check-valves on each of the returns that have clear covers... these are, again, 2" in and out, straight (the product description, best I can tell, says it's a 2 x 2 1/2"... for example: http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Produc ... Valve.aspx).

Point me in the right direction for the eyeballs.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sorry, eyeballs are fittings where the water returns to the pool through the pool wall. Normally, there are eyeballs which can be moved to redirect the return flow. However, not all pools have eyeballs, some just have a pipe that is flush with the pool wall.

http://www.poolcenter.com/accessories_m ... eballs.htm
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

Aha! Learn something new every day. My pool has 4 eyeballs (I almost said "I have 4 eyeballs), and they are each 3/4 inch diameter at the opening.