Liquidator or Stenner Pump

Bobba

May 7, 2011
Considering both options. Has anyone actually tested salt levels in the pool when using the LQ? Supposedly, salt,etc.. is removed and deposited in the bottom of the tank. Ph is also supposed to be reduced according to their info. Any truth to this?

I saw almost no salt pulled from the water when using an LQ on my pool. Other reports have been similar. I would consider the difference to be negligible. I don't recall seeing any claims of pH being controlled by the LQ, the only thing I can think of that would be any different is if it were compared to using an SWCG.

Seems to be the consensus with other users here. Even though the experts here say liquid chlorine doesn't raise ph levels, my experience and many others who post here are having to add acid several times a week. Bad bleach or liquid chlorine? Standard answers like aeration, TA too highand add borates do not apply to most of those with the issue. I was really hoping that HASA's claim of 30% less acid usage was true. High TDS levels are another issue I have and the LQ does not seem to help with that either. Any other LQ users with the same or different experience are welcome to comment

Your pH rise is the nature of most pools and has little to do with using bleach. Controlling your TA may have some effect in reducing the frequency of acid additions but you must understand that the number of posters on this forum that ask for help because their pH is being lowered approaches ZERO. (tab users might be an exception).

High TDS is not an issue in residential pools. Who is suggesting to you that it is?

The LQ is a great product - I did see salt deposits in the bottom of it (mine is empty right now, maybe I'll post a picture of it) though not nearly as much as you might expect. Regardless it's not why I bought it and TDS is not an issue - especially with salt levels we'd be talking about here.

I've switched (or rather am in the process of switching) to a Stenner pump because I run automated solar which runs for different amounts of time each day. As such the pump runs for different speeds and I was getting inconsistent amounts of CL pulled from the LQ. If you're not running avariable speed/time setup this won't be a problem and the LQ should be fine.

Last year I never added acid to my pool. this year I've had to add it regularly. Was it my new liner? Was it the change in weather? Maybe my fill water is different this year (higher TA maybe?), who knows. Pools are not static; they change and learning the principles taught on this site will enable you to manage your pool effectively as it goes through various cycles.

I performed a little survey at work and out of 23 other pool owners, I am the only one having to add acid on a constant basis. Coincidentally, I am the only one using liquid chlorine (Walmart brand). TA has been religously kept at 60. As for the users whose ph is being lowered, I don't understand the comment. As far as TDS, I had a level of 30,000 and had to have an RO treatment. This was following 2 yrs of liquid chlorine use. Both my TDS tester and the RO companies tested the same. The first thing they asked was if I was using liquid chlorine! My pool is being refinished this week and I am just trying to make the right choices going forward.

If the LQ does not effect the Ph and TDS issues as they claim, perhaps the Stenner setup is the better route. More consistant chlorine addition and after the mods (Hayward valve, Tygon tubing, fixing leaks,etc...) the Stenner pump setup isn't much more money. I am dying to start testing after the Pebblesheen refinish to see if that helps my Ph issue. Perhaps my old plaster had something to do with it. I will also be switching to HASA liquid chlorine from the Walmart stuff.

It's the same amount of CL whether it's delivered by the LQ or the Stenner. You're absolutely right on the relative costs differences once you've dialed in the LQ.

Why did you do the RO? TDS in itself is not a reason for an RO treatment. In my case I had very high CYA but relatively low TDS. The RO guys use TDS as a way to measure how clean they've made the water and it's an acceptable corollary to things like CYA removal but it's not perfect. Think of it like measuring Oxidation Reduction Potential (ORP) for automated chlorination systems - it's not actually measuring the free CL but rather an indicator that (usually) correlated to the level of free CL you have int he water.

People who use CL pucks (Tri-Chlor) have, in general, no issues with pH drift as the pucks themselves are very acidic due to the stabilizer in them and so offset the CL rise and then some. DiChlor tends to be pH neutral. I believe if you go into the 'Deep End' section there's some in depth discsussion about pH rise with liquid CL. It's just not a very common problem which I think is why you've gotten the responses on this thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.