Algaecide for closing

JumboShrimp

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
Sad day here in Central PA - Closing the pool :(
I like to keep it running as late as I can, just in case we get a warm day - Wed was 80 & we were in it!
I used to buy the 'kit' til I got hooked up here but now I'm a little smarter. Got a sample and am testing the water next.
The only Algaecide I can get TODAY is 'Algae Guard 3X' at WallyWorld - I know most of you here use polyquat.
Is this an acceptable substitute or should I wait and get a 'better' product
Thanks - You are ALL so helpful!
JS

Just balance your water before you close it. I don't like anything but alg 60%. If you have a tarp cover you won't need anything else. If it's a mesh cover use the polyquat alg 60%. Some people like pool magic spring and fall.

Hi Kevin
Thanks for the reply - didn't get to it yesterday so I'll try to find the PolyQuat today. Water tested fine, CL was a little high but everything else was in range (19000 Gal SWG pool run by a pool pilot)
JS

Tarp cover - no algaecide (I closed yesterday). I also decided to finally get a leaf net, I have a feeling it will pay for itself every year. It caught about 20+ leaves from the time I started draining (immediately after vacuuming) until I was done (small pump, runs about 7 hours).

Never thought about it before, but that's a nice advantage to using a mesh cover (no soggy leaf gunk). Assuming the water level is low enough.

It depends on the type of cover you have, if it is a "tarp" or polymer cover that is does not transmit light into the pool, then just adjust the pool pH (7.2 - 7.6) and raise the chlorine to about 15 - 20 ppm; don't need algaecide. As algae is a plant it needs light to grow; if your cover is mesh or let's light into the pool then add algaecide, one with copper is probably the best. Copper levels of 0.5 - 1.5 ppm are toxic to algae and effectively block their growth.

We never recommend algaecide with copper in it. Use the polyquat if you are going to use any.

Copper can just lead to staining of the pool and hair.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wait til the water is blow 60, shock and close. I don't use a cover and wait until most leaves are off trees to I've a good cleaning...shock, wait two days...pull plug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.