Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Pool overflow drain.

Pool overflow drain.

Hello All,
    I have a 1.5 inch PVC Pipe that is coming out of the ground that I believe is an over flow for the pool. (My neighbor has something similar.) Mine doesn't drain though. I've looked into the skimmer basket there is only one pipe connector that goes to the pump.

Yesterday, I checked out the main drain (took off the cover and looked) There are 2 connectors one goes to the pump, the other has a threaded cap (Hydrostatic plug?). Is it possible that the threaded cap goes to the overflow?

What could happen if I remove the threaded cap and it's not connected to the overflow drain? (I'm thinking this could go bad really quick.)

Any other ideas?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CPX36, SmartPool Nitro SmartKleen NC22 robotic pool cleaner, Lakeland Florida

Senior Member In the Industry

Re: Pool overflow drain.

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    Hello All,
    I have a 1.5 inch PVC Pipe that is coming out of the ground that I believe is an over flow for the pool. (My neighbor has something similar.) Mine doesn't drain though. I've looked into the skimmer basket there is only one pipe connector that goes to the pump.

Yesterday, I checked out the main drain (took off the cover and looked) There are 2 connectors one goes to the pump, the other has a threaded cap (Hydrostatic plug?). Is it possible that the threaded cap goes to the overflow?

What could happen if I remove the threaded cap and it's not connected to the overflow drain? (I'm thinking this could go bad really quick.)

Any other ideas?
    If it's a hydrostat (in the drain pot) the part you can see is spring loaded and can be lifted slightly (which will let water out, creating a suction that you'll be able to feel).

You could overfill the pool and see if water comes out.

However, if you have a high water table, I think it more likely that the 1.5" pipe goes to a well point for dewatering during construction or repairs (they are usually capped though)
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!