Paramount pop-up cleaner with Polaris 280

mnittler

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2012
South Texas
I am in the process of installing a new in-ground pool and have asked the installer to plumb in a Polaris line to be used in the future. He is installing Paramount pop-up cleaners in the bottom of the pool, steps, bench, and spa. I want to also run a Polaris 280 with the pop-up cleaners if required. He thinks that i might have a loose screw somewhere. I figured that if the Polaris piping is not pre-installed then it can't be done. Has anyone done this and is it even practical to use both cleaning systems in the same pool? The pool contractor is going to install the Polaris piping (for a small fee) but not install the Polaris cleaner itself. Are there any gotcha's I need to look at? I live on a lake with lots of trees and figured that on windy days the leaves will blow into the pool and the Polaris will do a better job on the leaves than the Paramount?. I have removed several trees that were close to the pool. I have decided to give the Paramount system a chance but still have the option of the Polaris at this time. Would I run the Paramount and the Polaris at different times or at the same time? Stupid idea or not? :scratch:

It's a great idea to go ahead and run the line for the cleaner, because you're right, if you don't do it during construction it's a very big job after.

I do think you'll have a problem running the Polaris when the popups are on.

Agree with Bama - Have the (Polaris) cleaning line installed now or it's a much more expensive & invasive job later. Another reason I would have the line run for the Polaris cleaner is it will serve as a reliable backup if you ever have a problem with the pop-ups. From what I've heard, if you ever have a plumbing problem with the pop-ups, it is usually big $ to fix since much of the plumbing for the pop-ups is under the pool. In fact, if it's not too late, I would not even go with the pop-ups. If it is too late to forgo the pop-ups, you will at least have a reliable backup with the cleaning line where you can connect the Polaris.

I'm on the other side of thought. I wouldn't waste the money on a polaris. The paramount systems work great with very little maintenance. You didn't mention if you also got the leaf canister option with the Paramount system. I would highly recommend it. It basically captures all of the debris that goes down the main drain and traps if before it gets to the pump basket. I bet I only empty my pump basket once a year since hardly anything gets there. I would also suggest that you get a copy of the in floor system plan that Paramount created for your pool. It specifies where each popup head should go and what size orifice each head uses. They are not all alike.

Does your setup also include regular wall returns?

My previous pool had the in-floor system, but I could also switch a valve to turn off the floor and return the water to normal wall eyeballs. This is very nice if you are swimming with the pump on so you are not stepping on or kicking the pop-ups. It would also allow you to turn the floor off if you decided to run a suction cleaner or a robot to aide the pop-ups. Personally, I think I would opt for this instead of a single pressure side cleaner return ... although I have no experience with pressure side cleaners.

Generally my pop-up system did a decent job although dirt would always collect in a few corners.

{We have seen a few posts here where people ONLY could return to the pool through the floor system. That is a problem if something goes wrong with the system as you then have no way to circulate water}

No, I do not have an alternate pool return. That is a good idea and I will ask installer if that can be an option. They started the plumbing yesterday.
I also have 1 floor and 1 wall return for the Paramount cleaner system and another wall return for the slide pump. I am not sure where I would connect the suction of the future Polaris pump if required?

mnittler said:
I also have 1 floor and 1 wall return for the Paramount cleaner system and another wall return for the slide pump. I am not sure where I would connect the suction of the future Polaris pump if required?

Polaris is a pressure side cleaner and mine was plumbed by converting an existing return. At the pad a T was placed ahead of the puck feeder. This is just after the filter. Thus feeds my booster pump which then goes to a reducing bushing to allow the booster hose to fit my in ground 1.5"pipe.

Sent via Tapatalk...

As I was driving home yesterday, I was thinking about the extra pool returns required (extra expense and installation) to bypass the in floor cleaning system and had the idea of just a program change and maybe 1 more valve with minor plumbing to divert the return of the pool water into the connected hot tub jets and let the hot tub overflow into the pool (I can think of it as a water feature) if and/or when I would run the Polaris and not want the Paramount popups operating. This way the pool suctions would remain in operation, the pop ups would not interfere with the Polaris, and I get a water feature. We could also set it in this floor cleaning bypass mode if we were in the pool and did not want to be tripping over the popups (If that is a problem)? This modification would be a minor cost. Maybe I am just thinking too much and thinking of problems that do not yet exist. Better now than later when the pool is actually completed. Anyway they are installing the Polaris 280 water connection in the wall so I have the Polaris cleaning option if required later. :scratch:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.