Need a new pump motor, upgrade needed ??

roadking00

LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My 2 speed 1.5HP motor failed on me just recently and now I'm in the market to have my motor and pump head (threaded onto motor shaft) checked out at a local electric motor shop in the area that rebuilds these and has plenty of experience with theses specific motors and pump heads, so first I'll have them check it out and see if its even rebuild-able.

But I was wondering if its beneficial to look into a upgrade for myself ? I would like to have this one rebuilt and keep as a spare and possibly just have a new one for next year or and upgraded setup if its even necessary ?

My motor is mated with a Pac-Fab 34-3256 pump, is it possible to get just the actual pump side separately to have it mounted to a spare motor if infact I go the route of having the same set up as a spare ? This way it would make it a simple swap over if one fails ?

Any online stores anyone can recommend for motors/pumps?

My motor Data Plate

2012-10-05_14-26-53_667.jpg

My Pump

2012-10-05_14-28-34_499.jpg

My pump Head (piece I would like to have as a spare mounted on spare motor)

2012-10-05_14-27-19_412.jpg

2012-10-05_14-27-47_426.jpg

My pump Housing

2012-10-05_14-28-17_269.jpg

Well, been told my starter winding in the motor is fryed, not economical to repair...but can get a new motor installed onto
side of pump with new seal of course for @ $385 ?? Good price? I'm assuming the diagnosis of the old and labor for reassemble is some of the labor costs that was quoted??

I'm starting to think since I have alot of time to research and redo my pad before next season I should maybe just go ahead and replace my pump/basket set up since I have to buy a new motor anyway (sort of start completely new)?? Except for my Triton 2 sand filter , nothing wrong with it...

I've been browsing a bit on eBay and other sites recently and coming across alot of pump & motor sets for not to bad of prices but not to sure of what I "really" need in HP/flow rate for my pool ?? I think I definitely want a 2-speed 230V motor, don't really need the hi/lo switch on the motor,I would really rather have it in a regular switch box on the wall I can wire up.

I have a few other questions below if anyone can help out....

1. Do I really need a 1-1/2 HP like I have now or is there a 1HP out there nowadays that will do the job??

2. Anything minimal I should be looking for ?

3. Or certain set-up's I should stay away from ?

4. The only different thing I may end up adding in the future to my set up would be 2-ten foot solar panels on the roof of the pump house, will that matter much ?

I have 2 regular returns and 1 additional one on the fiberglass wall of the steps, and 1 main drain. And a dedicated port on the wall by the skimmer for a suction or pressure cleaner.

Any thoughts/recommendations out there for me???

Thanks,
Steve

roadking00 said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
Pipe sizes?

Sent via Tapatalk...
All supply and return lines underground are 1-1/2"lines, at the new pad everything will be switched over to 2" PVC along with all 2"valves...

How many, how far from the pad to the pool, etc. Maybe a wider pad shot would help too. The idea is to help you build a flow picture with enough info to get one of the resident experts to comment on the head losses to expect and feedback on what flow you need and what would produce that.

UnderWaterVanya said:
roadking00 said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
Pipe sizes?

Sent via Tapatalk...
All supply and return lines underground are 1-1/2"lines, at the new pad everything will be switched over to 2" PVC along with all 2"valves...

How many, how far from the pad to the pool, etc. Maybe a wider pad shot would help too. The idea is to help you build a flow picture with enough info to get one of the resident experts to comment on the head losses to expect and feedback on what flow you need and what would produce that.

Been real busy at work lately, havent had a chance to measure any distances yet,hopefully get to it soon and post as much info as i can.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok, I finally had a chance to get out there and measure a bit...all measurements are rough estimates assuming all straight runs with a 90 here and there?

Suction line from skimmer is about 22'

MD Suction line is about 22'

Dedicated Polaris Vac Port is about 22' (which may continue to be a pressure side vac or may reconfigure as a suction vac port?)

Return line header goes from pad underground about 8' and assume there is a "T" branch, off of that it goes 24' one way to a return in the deep end, and also toward the other end of the pool the other direction 45' to the furthest port on the steps and about 5' before the steps is another low end return. Total return line estimate would be roughly 77' give or take a few feet.

As mention earlier, things I may plan to add in the future would be a couple of 10' solar panels on the roof of the pump house.Other then that everything will remain the same except for the re-configuring of my pump pad to have more room in the pump house and all piping once it comes out of the ground will be upgraded from the 1-1/2" underground to 2" piping and valves at the new pad.

Any help on sizing a replacement pump/motor set is much appreciated from you all.Basically decided to go with a whole new set up rather then just replacing the motor.

Here is a link to my other post I have with replumbing my pad with a sketch of my existing lay out and proposed new layout.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/going-to-be-re-plumbing-my-pad-t51115.html

Thanks,
Steve

Few pools need anything more than the smallest pump. I wouldn't go larger than a 3/4 HP full rated or 1 HP up rated two speed pump. Here are a few choices:

Hayward SuperPump 1 HP Uprated SP2607X102S (230v)
Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP Full Rated SF-N2-1A (230v)

These have a bit more flow rate than the pumps above but are just as efficient. Also they run on 115v vs 230v.

Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP Full Rated WFDS-3 (115v)
Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP Up Rated WFDS-24 (115v)

mas985 said:
Few pools need anything more than the smallest pump. I wouldn't go larger than a 3/4 HP full rated or 1 HP up rated two speed pump. Here are a few choices:

Hayward SuperPump 1 HP Uprated SP2607X102S (230v)
Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP Full Rated SF-N2-1A (230v)

These have a bit more flow rate than the pumps above but are just as efficient. Also they run on 115v vs 230v.

Pentair Whisperflo 3/4 HP Full Rated WFDS-3 (115v)
Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP Up Rated WFDS-24 (115v)

Thanks for the quick reply Mark, so I can get what is needed out of a more modern 1HP pump set up, does that also keep in mind of adding a solar heat loop as well ? Or does it not matter much? So the 115V pumps are just as electrically efficient as the 230V models,but with a bit better flow rates ? I've been leaning towards the 230V
models not only for less amp draw compared to the 110V models but also because I have a 230v timeclock already and a 230v stenner injection pump.

The smaller the motor the less power used. The same size motor will use the same power regardless of voltage.

If you need 230v like I did, and want a 2 speed, get the 1hp superflo.

The Whisperflo are bigger pumps than the Superflo and will use more power.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

So I've been reading up on uprated vs full rated motors and of course getting a bit confused on the whole thing, as I see it my original motor was a 1.0HP with a SF of 1.65 which equates to a 1.65 HP motor, also on my motor nameplate it shows 1.0-.16 HP ?? Does that mean at low speed the HP is .16 ??

So with that said looking at the Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP Full Rated SF-N2-1A set up with a SF of 1.25 is giving me a 1.25 HP pump. I think I'm seeing this correct and just wanna double check, I don't see any flow rate capacities and hoping that this setup would be sufficient enough?

Am I seeing this correct that I currently had a set-up of 1.65HP (which may have been over sized from day one?) and reducing it to 1.25HP ??

I guess this is what happens when you have a TFP that you close for the season and have TOO MUCH time to read up on things and research before actually jumping it with 2 feet :(

Everything you said is correct. It is the SFHP that matters. The up rated and full rated might cost different amounts, but be exactly the same ... marketing. The 2 speed Whisperflo pumps are a good example of this if you look on their website.

The Superflo would be a little less power than your existing pump, but likely is still plenty of power. And will cost less to run.

jblizzle said:
Everything you said is correct. It is the SFHP that matters. The up rated and full rated might cost different amounts, but be exactly the same ... marketing. The 2 speed Whisperflo pumps are a good example of this if you look on their website.

The Superflo would be a little less power than your existing pump, but likely is still plenty of power. And will cost less to run.

Cool, thanks for the verification Jason...Looks like I'll jump in with 2 feet and buy the Superflo 1HP and start the re-plumbing of my pad and call it good :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.