Resurface question

Oct 6, 2012
Hello,

first time owning a home with a pool. Living in southern CA, and the pool is tile on top and plaster surface. I was built around 2005-2006 from what I can tell (we are 3rd owners). The plaster has become discolored, light spots and almost gray in some areas, almost like its worn. We don't believe the pool water has been changed so we plan to drain this winter. But I was thinking about refinishing the surface and looking for suggestions.

Read about a number of epoxy coatings, various warranties, but it appears I should expect it to peel in a few years (2 or more).

Pebble finish. I've seen some pools with the pebble finish, looks great, but I would assume that has an epoxy base as well and I don't want to have replace in 5 years and be worse off.

Replaster?

Just wondering if anyone has experiance and would suggest one route over another.

Thanks

I can't see it from here. Do you know, for certain, the plaster is in bad shape? Stains can sometimes be removed.

I would not drain a pool unless it is absolutely necessary. Pebble finishes,AFAIK, are portland (cement) based.
The durability comes from the higher amount of aggregate (pebbles). I'm sure the old plaster would have to be chipped out to refinish your pool.

I had a similar experience with the original plaster on our old pool. Eventually i had a plaster crew come out and replace it with Wet Edge. The had to chip out the old and then prep the surface with some sort of agent. In the end I wish I had done it two tears sooner. The Pebble finish was great.

Thanks for the replies!

bigdave-the surface of the current plaster looks worn, is the best way I can describe it. Many gray areas (plaster is blue) on the bottom.

The reason for changing the water, a number of folks have told me the water (which has a slightly salty taste) should be replaced after so many years and the solids level in the pool.

I thought if I was going to drain the water even half way, might be worth looking at fixing up the finish. I also have a couple of round looking rust stains in one area of the pool.

Usually when plaster is worn it becomes rough and pitted. If yours is still smooth (or fairly smooth) you may be able to diminish or remove the discoloration entirely. Pictures could help as bigdav suggested. Of course, if you have the budget and just want a different finish, then go for it!

Typically there are very few reasons to drain a pool so yours may not need it. Getting a good test kit such as Taylor K-2006 or TF100 and posting a full set of results can help us help you in that regard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.