Using Armor All on liner waterline??

JimSr

Sep 6, 2012
Lake Charles, LA
I am a newbie at TFP and have found this site to be a great source of "spot on" advice and expertise.

Living in South-West Louisiana,Lake Charles, we get a lot of direct sunlight and high temps that seem to have dried out the liner at and above the water line. The liner started to split about an 1 1/2" below the bead on the North side of the deep end.

I just installed a new liner and was wondering if any one has heard of applying "Armor All" to the liner at the water line, every couple of months. This was a suggestion I got from the supplier that I purchased the liner from. I have not tried it yet, but it doesn't seem, at first blush, to be a bad idea.

Thanks in Advance, :-D
Jim

I dont do liners but looking at this quote from a liner company, it seems like the opposite thing to do. It will just collect dirt.

Here are some notes I came across that seem to make sense.

Clean the vinyl liner at the water line of all residue and scum that will
accumulate as a result of people using the pool and all substances
floating at the surface of the water like suntan oil, dust, dirt etc. Take
special care to clean any area at the water surface where the sun hits
directly for a long period of the day. DO NOT USE ABRASIVE PADS
OR ANY CLEANER THAT IS ABRASIVE. Use a dealer-approved vinyl
cleaner and apply it with a sponge.
Suntan oil badly stains vinyl due to iodine and other caustic
chemicals it contains. Without proper removal, these chemicals will
become baked on by the sun and will eat away the finish of the vinyl.
Ultimately, the stains will degrade the vinyl, causing it to crack and
break. The combination of sunshine, pool chlorine and suntan oil is
fatal to vinyl.

With what Just-a-PB said, won't simply keeping your chem balanced and proper filtration keep the suntan oils filtered out and the waterline properly maintained with correct balances?

That seems like an aaaawwwfffuuulll lot of work to have to go around your pool, scrubbing the waterline with a cleaner every time you get out of the pool. Like anyone will do that for very long.

I have found that brushing alone does the job pretty well, but have also used a magic eraser with a lot of success. I've also seen a cleaner at the pool store specifically for this, so I would probably try those before armor all.

I wondered if brushing alone would be sufficient.

What if one were building a pool and using a vinyl liner. Couldn't you just put tile at the water line to prevent any problems there, or is that not possible with vinyl?

y_not said:
I wondered if brushing alone would be sufficient.

What if one were building a pool and using a vinyl liner. Couldn't you just put tile at the water line to prevent any problems there, or is that not possible with vinyl?

Didn't Duraleigh do that?
an-unusual-pool-build-t10597.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
X-PertPool said:
I spoke on the phone for a lengthy amount of time and the representative for aerospace protectant 303 said it can be used on pool vinyl and he knows of many customers that do.

What is this compared to Armor All?
It hasn't yet been mention in the thread.

So it's safe for vinyl, unlike the thread topic product?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.