LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Last week I posted about a "partial drain" & refill after a major crack occured in our Fiberglass pool. Things took a turn for the worse that is resulting in us just biting the bullet and redoing the pool ... (yes, KA-CHING !!) the only silver lining is that it is end of season, oh and the Coping was separating from the pool. Upon draining it, we found yet 2 more smaller cracks -- the pool construction company told us that those cracks likely is what started all of this mess .... they leaked water between the Fiberglass and underlining Gunite which likely allowed some movement underneath .. (not sure if I buy that, but OK ..) This will also give us a chance to get a working DRAIN and a larger skimmer with Vacuum attachment, and an Overflow, and finally fix the coping.

Anyway - my main point to post this is I'm wondering if there are any special "start up" processes that we should consider with this being New Fiberglass? In my previous post I was told for the "partial drain" just to add Bleach, stir it up and start monitoring the other tests (CYA, et al). Would that still be the best approach? Or considering this is end of season and we will NOT be swimming for another 6 months or so should we approach this more aggressively? Is there some special "start up" process for NEW Fiberglass like there is for new PLASTER? (I didn't see anything in Pool School pertaining to that.)

How would you deal with this after the initial water starts filling it? Thanks all ... (PS, I'll snap pics alomg the way).

I'd suggest this: pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

It gets your chemistry up and running quickly and might help you get there before closing easier than just using CYA and Bleach as the initial chemicals. Dichlor may suck for long term use - but it makes for a good startup process for a new pool.

cody21 said:
Thank you ..

You're welcome. If you lived close by I probably have the 20lbs of Dichlor you'll need with this method... purchased before I understood what I actually needed!

Another option is to do both processes - maybe dichlor days 1-2 while CYA hangs in a sock in front of a return for the remaining 15ppm. Choices are good...

lol .... I actually have a full bag of unopened CYA that I bought 2 months ago.. So I'll probably just go with that ... The thing I'm having no luck finding is 20 MULE TEAM BORAX (to bring up the PH). I've searched Target, Lowes, WalMart ... nada ... I may just have to order some online I guess.

PS - so hopefully a final question: The Fill time of the new pool will take days before it gets up to the level of the Skimmer/Pumping through the Filter. Should I just add a bunch of Chlorine or Polyquat 60 to the water as it's filling and stir it with a brush? Or just dump some Dichlor into it to begin with? The water temp will be Tap water temp (50 or 60?) - and we have no plas to SWIM after it fills ... we're into closing time anyway - and just plan to maintain it over winter (northern California - no freezing). (The more I re-read the "Beginners Guide" link above the more I'm leaning towards just going with the Dichlor method vs. CYA + Ch)

cody21 said:
lol .... I actually have a full bag of unopened CYA that I bought 2 months ago.. So I'll probably just go with that ... The thing I'm having no luck finding is 20 MULE TEAM BORAX (to bring up the PH). I've searched Target, Lowes, WalMart ... nada ... I may just have to order some online I guess.
Food Lion, BiLo, and other grocery stores carry it here - you might ask the managers if they can get it before just ordering on your own.

Another option might be available; what is your fill water pH/TA/CH?

If the TA isn't too high and the pH need is modest you might be able to use Washing Soda - it doesnt raise pH without raising TA but if the need fits you might be able to get most of the way there - add some aeration (fountain?) and you might not need the 20 Mule Team.

cody21 said:
PS - so hopefully a final question: The Fill time of the new pool will take days before it gets up to the level of the Skimmer/Pumping through the Filter. Should I just add a bunch of Chlorine or Polyquat 60 to the water as it's filling and stir it with a brush? Or just dump some Dichlor into it to begin with? The water temp will be Tap water temp (50 or 60?) - and we have no plas to SWIM after it fills ... we're into closing time anyway - and just plan to maintain it over winter (northern California - no freezing). (The more I re-read the "Beginners Guide" link above the more I'm leaning towards just going with the Dichlor method vs. CYA + Ch)

Can you use your vacuum hose and get circulation going with the skimmer and vac hose? If not then you certainly can use dichlor or bleach and simply use the brush a couple times a day to keep it stirred up. Dichlor is easy to get started - but if you already have the CYA - you could try premixing it in a bucket - maybe only 1/4 of what you need at a time so you don't overwhelm the volume of water you have.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Vacuum connects to the Skimmer, so yea, probably ... I just need to make sure the Filter is just recirculating though, right? Good thought about just disolving some CYA in a bucket. I might as well use it since it's just sitting there, along with Bleach.

thanks ...

cody21 said:
The Vacuum connects to the Skimmer, so yea, probably ... I just need to make sure the Filter is just recirculating though, right? Good thought about just disolving some CYA in a bucket. I might as well use it since it's just sitting there, along with Bleach.

thanks ...

Recirc or filter should work - no reason not to filter that I can think of. Your hose may leak so be sure to watch and test; swivel (if any) should go on the underwater side. The returns higher up on the walls are going to do some serious aeration also so you may not need any Borax! Just be sure you have everything pointed so it isn't spraying out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.