Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can actuator valve be turned manually?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can actuator valve be turned manually?

The kiddos had a good time in the spa last night and things were working great. Afterwards I turned the filter back to the pool only to find an empty spa an hour later. Although the kids thought this was grand, not quite sure if they liked the spa better with-or without water, I saw trouble

Anyhow, I think I have narrowed the problem down to the Pentair cva 24 actuator valve not turning back and the suction is only coming from the spa now. I tried flipping the valve switch in the back to see if it might have changed but the valve seems stuck. I figure I need a service call scheduled next week, but is there any way to turn the valve manually so I can keep the filter running?

The valve I have is similar to this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Compool-R ... B002CTLTFC

Thanks,
    Torben
    Torben

22,500 gallons IG gunite free form w/ spa, Tropical Breeze Pebbletec, Intelliflo Variable Speed, 2hp Whisperflo for waterfall feature, Intellitouch, Quad DE 80 Filter, Mastertemp heater, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can actuator valve be turned manually?

I do not think you can manually turn the Pentair actuators very radially, you have to remove them or open them up. The Jandy can be more easily moved.

If the little switch is not moving the valve then it seems that it is not getting power. Does it make any sound?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think the Pentair actuators are similar to Goldline. With the toggle switch in the middle position, partially unscrew the center plastic screw in the middle of the handle. Push down on the screw and you should feel the valve disengage from the actuator and you should be able to move it. Afterwards, you can pull up on the screw and it will re-engage with the actuator.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I would have to search again for the thread, but I thought the Pentair and the Compupool were not that easy. The Jandy and Intermatic were as you described.

Easy enough to search for the manual for your valve online and read the process.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason/Mark, thanks a bunch, you got me on the right path.

I couldn't find the manual for how to remove the actuator and kept opening the housing instead of removing the full unit which wouldn't allow me to turn it. Once I removed the full unit based on the post below I was able to turn it easily.

http://poolfyi.com/forum/topics/cva-24t-valve-actuator

Thanks again,
    Torben

22,500 gallons IG gunite free form w/ spa, Tropical Breeze Pebbletec, Intelliflo Variable Speed, 2hp Whisperflo for waterfall feature, Intellitouch, Quad DE 80 Filter, Mastertemp heater, SWCG