Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing this weekend for the first time

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing this weekend for the first time

I am a new pool owner this year as I bought a house with a pool in May and am closing for the first time - wish me luck!

The awesome tips in "Closing an Inground Pool" has a tip about closing with the water solidly below 60deg, which I planned on doing. Because of the leaves falling wose and worse, and the weather being what it is, I feel I need to close this weekend with the water around 70deg. I am in Mt. Airy, MD and wonder if anyone follows that part of the advice. I am just curious approximately how late in the year would you have to wait to reach ~60deg water (I know it depends on the weather, size of pool, shade, etc....but just an estimate).

I am having a bunch of trees removed that are way too close to the pool, so next year I could wait a lot longer without having such a mess every day.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing this weekend for the first time

Good luck with you close!

I can only comment from reading the article, as it states solidly below 60o due to algae inactivity at that temperature, so I would guestimate that you can:
    a) close this weekend by maintaining a good Shock Level, having passed the OCLT
    b) shock and cover (semi-close) the pool and then re-shock once the temperature is within the recommended level for closing

Hopefully someone with relevant experience will either confirm or denounce my post shortly!

Regards
    Stuart
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, I am going to have to put the cover on without closing completely and come back to it. I cannot get the lines drained. My pool equip is slightly below the pool, but I thought the plumbing came up and went back down, so that I would not have issues with the main drain. The pool has an attached spa, which is trying to completely drain out through it's main drains......so I dont know how to keep water out of the lines....should there be plugs in the drains for the spa portion?

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the spa manually or electronically controlled? If its manual you should be able to isolate it once empty by closing its return and drain valves at the plant
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

5. Back To Top    #5

So i can just empy it and not worry that it is not weighed down by water?

6. Back To Top    #6

Something the size of a spa is not a concern for underwater tables - which is what I presume you refer to by "weighted down", the volume and amount of water are negligible, unless you have a specific situation that needs attention, but I doubt it.

Stu
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

7. Back To Top    #7

Here is my spa. Thank you a million for the help. No worries about draining?

8. Back To Top    #8

Photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

No problem with draining your spa, although now that I've saw your picture I must ask do you have a cover to prevent the Plaster & Tile from being exposed to the elements?
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes. Full safety cover. Waterproof thick kind

11. Back To Top    #11

good to go then, would I be correct in presuming Maryland gets a 'proper' winter of snow and ice?
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

12. Back To Top    #12

We get snow and ice. It could go either way. Last year had almost no snow and one weekend of icy mix

13. Back To Top    #13

I ask because the forum as a rule of thumb advises dropping the level of the pool in snow and ice areas and not dropping in other areas, it sounds like you are in the drop the pool level area, so I guess it's best wishes for your first close from me!
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC