When to add stabilizer (Fall vs. Spring)?

MBMMPool

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2012
Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey, guys-

My 18x36' pool is currently filling following a planned Vinyl Liner replacement. After a few days of cycling to check for leaks, the pool will be winterized (I live in Ohio- we are DONE swimming!). Pool has an automatic cover that will be closed until spring.

Question: Any benefit of adding/dissolving stabilizer NOW, or should I just wait until Spring? As the water will not be exposed to any sunlight over the winter, will the stabilizer help maintain chlorine level in any real way?

Thanks for your time & opinions.

There are numerous posts where chem geek posts about indoor pools and suggests that having some CYA in them is smart as it moderates the chlorine's affect on swimsuits (and I presume reduces impact to liners, and covers, etc) and provides a reserve. I don't see why over the winter that wouldn't be useful (other than the swimsuits part!) I'm not saying put a whole bunch in - 20-30ppm total should be sufficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.