Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help with winterizing new sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

help with winterizing new sand filter

I got a new 350lb sand filter ( I had a 75lb before) this year. The pool shop said that with the filter being so big I need to take all the sand out of the filter for winter. Is this true? I backwashed the filter and drained the pool down to the return and disconected all the pvc lines and the pump and took them inside for the winter. I set the valve on the filter to winter and took the drain plug off and drained the filter ( this is how I have done the last 19 years with my other filter) Is this good or do I need to take the sand out? Also does it hurt my pool or liner to not to cover the pool for the winter? Thanks for the help.
    13500 gal 24 foot round x 4 foot deep above ground pool. Sand filter with 1.5 hp pump. City water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help with winterizing new sand filter

I think you just have to leave the drain out and as long as there is not water in the system ... you should be fine leaving it where it is.

Trying to remove the sand and move things around just makes breaking the laterals more likely.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thats what I though. They said to use a shop vac to suck the sand out but that would take forever. I might take the valve off the filter and take it inside and cover the hole with plastic and a tarp.
    13500 gal 24 foot round x 4 foot deep above ground pool. Sand filter with 1.5 hp pump. City water

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedRam95
    I got a new 350lb sand filter ( I had a 75lb before) this year. The pool shop said that with the filter being so big I need to take all the sand out of the filter for winter. Is this true? I backwashed the filter and drained the pool down to the return and disconected all the pvc lines and the pump and took them inside for the winter. I set the valve on the filter to winter and took the drain plug off and drained the filter ( this is how I have done the last 19 years with my other filter) Is this good or do I need to take the sand out? Also does it hurt my pool or liner to not to cover the pool for the winter? Thanks for the help.
    There is absolutely no reason to take the sand out unless you want to take the filter inside for some obscure reason.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!