backwash discharge

hyperionguy

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2012
Houston, TX
Hey folks!

This is my first season to have my Intex combo sand filter SWG. Since the use of these things is kinda portable, the odds of having access to a sewer line like you do with an in-ground pool... where and how are you directing your backwash discharge?

For now, i'm just blowing it into the yard. I have no grass or landscaping to kill, so i didn't urgently address the issue. This is not a solution at all.

How are other folks handling it?

Thanks!

I think most do as you have ... just direct it around the yard possibly water plants or grass.
Many HOAs specifically state that you are not to direct it to streets/common areas around here.

Less harmful with a sand filter than a DE filter.

Our yard is along a major road that gets salted all winter long. The grass grows just fine. I would think the amount of water you use and the amount of salt in the water, isn't enough to kill the grass. How often do you,backwash and for how long? I did mine a few times and it never took very long for the. Water to run clear on the backwash setting.

Hi PAGirl,

Interesting. I always thought any amount of salt was deadly. Nice to hear.

I backwash about every 2 weeks. However, I suspect I have issues as i don't think that much debris gets in my pool and I didn't expect to see the water volume decrease every 2 weeks. I backwash for about 1 minute (water usually appears clear about about 20 seconds) then rinse for about 1 minute. What about you? How often/how long/what prompts you to do it (pressure readings or volume decrease)?

This year I have a 12x36 ultra-frame. I already bought next year's pool, it is the 14x48 ultra-frame. For your 18x48 with the 1600, how many hours a day are you running it?

We recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure reading goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

With a large enough filter, some people only clean once or twice a year.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

hyperionguy said:
Hi PAGirl,

Interesting. I always thought any amount of salt was deadly. Nice to hear.

I backwash about every 2 weeks. However, I suspect I have issues as i don't think that much debris gets in my pool and I didn't expect to see the water volume decrease every 2 weeks. I backwash for about 1 minute (water usually appears clear about about 20 seconds) then rinse for about 1 minute. What about you? How often/how long/what prompts you to do it (pressure readings or volume decrease)?

This year I have a 12x36 ultra-frame. I already bought next year's pool, it is the 14x48 ultra-frame. For your 18x48 with the 1600, how many hours a day are you running it?

I usually noticed the return pressure decreasing, about every 3 weeks or so. My back wash time was about the same as yours. My gauge never really moved.
I ran my pump 2 hours in the morning, and 2-4 in the late evening, depending on how much we were swimming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.