Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: backwash discharge

1. Back To Top    #1

backwash discharge

Hey folks!

This is my first season to have my Intex combo sand filter SWG. Since the use of these things is kinda portable, the odds of having access to a sewer line like you do with an in-ground pool... where and how are you directing your backwash discharge?

For now, i'm just blowing it into the yard. I have no grass or landscaping to kill, so i didn't urgently address the issue. This is not a solution at all.

How are other folks handling it?

Thanks!
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: backwash discharge

I think most do as you have ... just direct it around the yard possibly water plants or grass.
    Many HOAs specifically state that you are not to direct it to streets/common areas around here.

Less harmful with a sand filter than a DE filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm just hoping the salt content isn't making future growth impossible.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Our yard is along a major road that gets salted all winter long. The grass grows just fine. I would think the amount of water you use and the amount of salt in the water, isn't enough to kill the grass. How often do you,backwash and for how long? I did mine a few times and it never took very long for the. Water to run clear on the backwash setting.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi PAGirl,

Interesting. I always thought any amount of salt was deadly. Nice to hear.

I backwash about every 2 weeks. However, I suspect I have issues as i don't think that much debris gets in my pool and I didn't expect to see the water volume decrease every 2 weeks. I backwash for about 1 minute (water usually appears clear about about 20 seconds) then rinse for about 1 minute. What about you? How often/how long/what prompts you to do it (pressure readings or volume decrease)?

This year I have a 12x36 ultra-frame. I already bought next year's pool, it is the 14x48 ultra-frame. For your 18x48 with the 1600, how many hours a day are you running it?

6. Back To Top    #6

We recommend cleaning the filter when the pressure reading goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure.

With a large enough filter, some people only clean once or twice a year.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I backwash directly into my yard, and the salt has not harmed my grass.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by hyperionguy
    Hi PAGirl,

Interesting. I always thought any amount of salt was deadly. Nice to hear.

I backwash about every 2 weeks. However, I suspect I have issues as i don't think that much debris gets in my pool and I didn't expect to see the water volume decrease every 2 weeks. I backwash for about 1 minute (water usually appears clear about about 20 seconds) then rinse for about 1 minute. What about you? How often/how long/what prompts you to do it (pressure readings or volume decrease)?

This year I have a 12x36 ultra-frame. I already bought next year's pool, it is the 14x48 ultra-frame. For your 18x48 with the 1600, how many hours a day are you running it?
    I usually noticed the return pressure decreasing, about every 3 weeks or so. My back wash time was about the same as yours. My gauge never really moved.
    I ran my pump 2 hours in the morning, and 2-4 in the late evening, depending on how much we were swimming.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!