Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Used pool deal - 30k gal-ish.

1. Back To Top    #1

Used pool deal - 30k gal-ish.

I couldn't help but post this, not that I can afford it, nor go get it and haul it.

But figured I'd throw this up here to chat about.
    http://eugene.craigslist.org/for/3271900186.html

The ad on CL, for when it gets taken down.
    Ad text as follows...

21 x 41 doughboy pool. Has been set up and used for approximately 10 years. Needs new liner. Pool light in wall. Automatic Tiger Shark vacuum system. Pump, filter, salt generator and propane heater. Solar cover and reel. Deck ladder. Telescopic pole with brush and net attachments. Misc. chemicals.
    Dis-assembly by You in 2 days time. Equipment can be sold separately.

Pool equip: $1500
    Heater is a Sta Rite Max E Therm 400K propane.
    Filter is Sta Rite System 3
    Pump is Hayward Tri Star variable speed with control box
    Aqua Chem electronic chlorine generator with extra turbo cell

Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Used pool deal - 30k gal-ish.

Haha, heck of a job taking it down and setting it back up! Pretty decent equipment though. If it's all in good shape $1500 is a pretty good price.

3. Back To Top    #3

I was curious as to what the unit to the right of the sand filter was. It's in the 3rd picture down.
    Is that the heater?

Also, my aunt had this exact same unit, the other one on the left, the filter. It was clearly a sand filter, it had a vertical multiport valve on it with a big plunger that you twisted and pulled up or down to go from backwash, to rinse, ro run. It was ultra critical that you not actuate that plunger while the pump was running.

Well, I noticed in the Visual Encyclopedia in Pool School, that the picture for this is listed as a "Cartridge Filter". Surely that is a mistake, no?
    Here's the image from the PS Vis. Enc.
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    Haha, heck of a job taking it down and setting it back up! Pretty decent equipment though. If it's all in good shape $1500 is a pretty good price.
    Do you think it could be taken down in 2 days, as their ad specifies?
    Wouldn't the deck have to be ripped out to get at the side supports?

Will a 10yr old AGP like that be in good enough shape to use, being that it's in an EXTREMELY wet climate. Moss, mold, mildew ville. It's a rainforest there, that's the classification of climate.
    But ooooh so beautiful!!! Think No-Cal on the coast in the forest and there you have it just about.
    Averages almost 50" rain/yr. More than Seattle, WA or Portland, OR.
    I'd say about 30's/50's on avg. in winter, from coldest to warmest during the coldest winter months, Nov-Feb. Minus record lows/highs.
    Not much frost and little to no snow beyond a skiff once per season.

Also, they say it needs a new liner.
    Do they only last about 10yrs, even if properly maintained?
    Aside from that, I know they can fail due to neglect, accidents and a whole myriad of problems.

How much would a new liner cost for a pool like that?

5. Back To Top    #5

I wouldn't even attempt to take it down in two days. It would take a day just to figure out what all had to be done just to begin taking it down. And if you did it where you'd have a chance of putting it back up, it'd take a day just to take the wall down and roll it up without dmamging it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by y_not
    I was curious as to what the unit to the right of the sand filter was. It's in the 3rd picture down.
    Is that the heater?

Also, my aunt had this exact same unit, the other one on the left, the filter. It was clearly a sand filter, it had a vertical multiport valve on it with a big plunger that you twisted and pulled up or down to go from backwash, to rinse, ro run. It was ultra critical that you not actuate that plunger while the pump was running.

Well, I noticed in the Visual Encyclopedia in Pool School, that the picture for this is listed as a "Cartridge Filter". Surely that is a mistake, no?
    Sta-Rite System 3, there's a sand filter, cartridge, and DE.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah it would be a nightmare of a project to take it down and keep it in good enough shape to re-use. I'm sure it could be done but it's not something I would want a part in

8. Back To Top    #8

The unit to the right of the filter is a heater. The gas regulator sticking out the side of it gives it away of nothing else does.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

And it's buried with a dug out center, so either buttresses buried or supports buried under liner? A liner that old can't be salvaged, it has gotten to stiff to stretch back in after it has dryed out. Sounds like the owners might know that and are being honest about it.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    Quote Originally Posted by y_not
    <snip>
    Is it an all-in-one unit? Where they have different modules that fit inside the same container?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I wouldn't even attempt to take it down in two days. It would take a day just to figure out what all had to be done just to begin taking it down. And if you did it where you'd have a chance of putting it back up, it'd take a day just to take the wall down and roll it up without damaging it.
    Yeah, it looks like a total nightmare if you ask me!!
    Two days seemed a little ***** to me, typical CL whininess. LOL
    You'd probably need a flat bed to haul all of that, huh?

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

[quote=y_not]
    Quote Originally Posted by "y_not":d0jd52g3
    <snip>
    Is it an all-in-one unit? Where they have different modules that fit inside the same container?[/quote:d0jd52g3]
    no sir, they each different types of filters, they just look the same

13. Back To Top    #13

no sir, they each different types of filters, they just look the same
    Lovely, so how does one tell the difference, aside from the label on it?
    Plumbing, valves, etc..?