First pool ever !!!! Sydney Australia

We finished the build of our first pool in April this year after starting in September last year, first builder went in to liquidation left us with a dirty big hole in the ground and nothing else. Turned out not to bad in the end didn't loose to much money (insurance came good) main hit was to the schedule. Found new builders who where great and final completed in April which here in Sydney is the middle of Autumn. Had a few swims before it got to cold.

Poolturf.jpg

Now its warming up in Spring and we have a good few weeks swimming with the heater boosting the main pool to 28c. All seems good so far but with summer coming I'm sure the chemistry side will get more interesting, so far all good but will take water to pool shop today and see how we are going.

Regards

Kev

Re: First pool ever !!!!

Kevnerd486,
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Looks simply wonderful!! So inviting, so blue, so beautiful.
Love it!!

Glad you made out OK in the end with your initial pool build fiasco.

You mentioned taking water to the pool store.
We're all about learning how to test and manage your own pool here @ TFP. It's really not that hard and fun, saves tons of money too.
Do you have your own test kit? If so, what type, describe it if you don't know, or post a link/photo to/of it.

Looks like you're using liquid chlorine with your Chemigen unit. GREAT!! Perfect!! Liquid is 1st class, what we all use here and have never looked back. :)

Since you're in Ausie land, you can't get the kit from the same place we northerners do, but there's another company down there that has the same stuff. There's a thread on it under the "Testing & Balancing Your Water" forum. Maybe someone will chime in behind me with the name of the outfit down unda'.
But you won't find it at your pool store. It's not in their best interest. ;)

Hi Kev,

Pool looks great!

I bought a TF100 kit from TDCHLORINATORS.COM.au. (In Brisbane, mailorder) They were good to deal with and I would recommend them...

I got the magnetic mixer as well, all up was $170 delivered. I would highly reccomend one [the mixer that is], my family thinks it's hilarious when I test my water - they think I've watched one too many episodes of BReaking Bad!

Like Y_NOT said it is fun to test your water and know exactly what is going on. Since you are using liquid chlorine I don't think summer will be very interesting at all if you are testing and adjusting Cl daily.

All I do is test every night after dark and add a small bit of liquid chlorine to bring up to the right level for my CYA level.

As somebody else on the forum said, it's like brushing your teeth - spend a few minutes a day brushing your teeth and you won't have any problems when you go to the dentist... otherwise.... visit to the dentist = $$$$$!

Also, do not trust the pool shop test results!!! Beware of any Cyanuric Acid containg products. (Trichlor, diclor, etc.) Don't add CYA to your pool unless you intentionally want to and know why...

Good luck,

Juzzie

Kevnerd486 said:
Thanks for the advice Juzzie, i was wonder where to get a decent test kit in Aus. Couldn't see how to order on the website so i have emailed them. Whats the magnetic mixer? I didn't see that o n the site.

Regards

Kev

The magnetic mixer is awesome!!! It makes it quick, easy and accurate to do your chlorine test, you don't have to shake or swirl to mix the chemicals - it does the mixing while you count the drops...

You'll see what I mean when you go to shock levels and you are adding lots of drops to your sample....

They do sell them, you need to email Taras and I found he/she (I'm not sure!) was pretty good at getting back on the email by the next day. He'll send you a quote and then you can do a paypal then POW it will be in the mail pretty quick, after paypal it was at my place in Melbourne in only a couple of days...

Most people on this site with a magnetic mixer will tell you they couldn't live without one!

ha ha good. You are well on your way now....

just don't do what I did at first with the R0870 powder and use the big (ie wrong) end of the measurer to put your drop test powder in as you will use it very quickley this way!!!

You'll see what I mean when you get your kit.

You are going to love being in total control of your pool, Good Luck!

TF-100 test kit and speed stirrer arrived and i did a full set of tests yesterday afternoon. results where:

pH: 7.6
Free Chlorine: 2.5
CC: 0.5
Alkalinity: 60
Calcium: 300
Cyanuric Acid: 30
Temperature: 27

The TA and CYA both need to come up a bit, i adjusted the the TA first and will check it this arvo before adjusting the CYA. What a great bit of gear that speed stirrer is, makes it very easy to be confident in your results.

No more pool shop visits for me.

Thanks again for the great advice.

Regards

Kev

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good news Kev.

Be careful not to over shoot the mark with the CYA addition.

How are you adding CYA? I would use up any CYA containing products you have first before buying something else...

Are you going on holiday anytime soon? Maybe you can live with the low CYA for now? It may not too low at 30, and if you are going away from the pool for a week or two you can use some trichlor pucks to take care of the chemistry while you are away? And that will bring the CYA up?

Just a thought.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.