Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ice rink in an Intex -- would it work?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ice rink in an Intex -- would it work?

My backyard has a giant cement slab that houses the Intex from June to October and then when I take the Intex down the slab reverts to an all-purpose court for wheeled and ball activities. I have been trying to figure out how to make use of the space in the heart of winter, and would like to set up an ice rink. BUT, my kids can't really skate very well and would make use of a rail/board/wall like at roller skating rinks . . . so, what do any of you think of this idea:

Buy a used Intex frame-style pool off craigslist and set it up mid-winter. Fill it with 10 inches or so of water and let it freeze. Cut a flap of the Intex to allow entry/exit and have the walls act as the rail/board/wall the kids can use to help them keep their balance as they learn. I was originally looking for a 30" pool so the top of the rail was the right height to hold - but a) they are hard to find; b) they are small in diameter; c) I fear the metal top rail would be frigid and not really a good aide.

So now I'm thinking buy an 18' x 48" pool and just let them use the wall itself for balance - that way they are touching vinyl not metal. (my kids are 6 and are about 48" in height).

I figure right above the height of the ice will get punctured by skate toes, so I thought fill it to 10" year one, 8" year two, and so on.

Anyone see major issues with this plan?? If I can find a pool for $150 or so, it seems like it is worth the risk to try it. But if you guys see an obvious issue, you could save me the money and effort if this is a loser from the word go.

FWIW, I have found lots of cheap, relatively easy ways to create a rink with wood and a tarp - what I haven't been able to figure out is an easy way to create a temporary rail/board/wall for balance with that sort of plan - so open to any ideas on that as well.

Oh, and Happy Swimming to those of you lucky enough to still be enjoying a pool and not prepping for Winter!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ice rink in an Intex -- would it work?

I see it folding up with a section missing.

Build rails out of PCV pipe. Get some vinyl baseboard molding, or lawn edging, something like that, and set it up and freeze it in place with some water. Then anchor the stanchions in by screwing them to the molding, or drilling through and laying anchor bolts on the ice. Then fill it up and let it freeze.

'course, what do I know? I went swimming today in 80 degree naturally heated water. I think I saw frost once last year....
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

One fall while holding on and the wall is likely toast.

- Sent using Tapatalk
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree - errant skate cuts, or a fall and that wall is gone

I don't know what your budget is, but they sell side walls here.

http://www.inyowinter.com/backyard_ice_ ... plies.aspx

I have never used those products, I happend upon that site from a link on a pool supply company a few months back.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

5. Back To Top    #5

Personally I think that the kids will get used to skating without a wall very quickly.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

^yes, just give them a chair or a pylon to push around -- that's how they teach kids to skate anyway - boards are just a hazard and you won't get the form right to control your center of gravity holding a wall.

The reason I found this thread is because I was trying to find out about those in ground conversion kits -- link-a-rink, I think they were called. Has anyone ever done a successful in ground conversion?

There's a Canadian co that does portable pool rinks with chillers and pipes, but it's a super hefty investment. I'd heard of these linking panels that were comparatively a few thousand. If anyone's had any experience, good or bad, with winter temporary conversions, please let me know!
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

7. Back To Top    #7

no fence!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

if your concrete slab is a square put 2x6 along the edges and allow a 1 inch lip, hold the wood in place with screws re-bar stakes and maybe a ratchet strap around the entire perimeter, Caulk the joint between the slab and the wood and fill with water!
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp