Pool Not Level?

Jul 7, 2012
I posted this within my overall construction thread, but I'm not getting a ton of feedback and I've got myself worked up to a panic. We are planning to talk to the pool builder tomorrow on this, but wanted to get some unbiased feedback.

The red arrow pointing up shows the water level actually touching the line on the liner.
As you look to the left and right, you can see the water level dropping.
Is this normal? We have about 18" to go to fill up the pool.

photo3waterlevel.jpg

I'm not seeing what you are, could just be me. I just finished doing a total self install of the pool in my signature and was completely freaked out as I filled/back filled. The water level looked almost 4 inches out of level until it hit the return lines( they are exactly 14inches from the top of fiberglass.) As the level rose I realized that it really was level (1/16 off once full)
So what your seeing might be off or might be level. Best way to tell is get a sounding transit(beeps) and check waterline all around the pool. This will tell you for sure!

If I paid someone else to install as you have, they would already be at the house showing me it's correct(using the beeping transit) with me holding it on the water line.

The liner itself may be slightly lower where it is touching the water. This may not be anything to worry about - it may have been necessary to remove a wrinkle.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Pool builder just got here. He says the water will line up with the liner when the pool is full.

I don't know what else to do but trust him. I talked about a leveling tool and he blew me off.

God, I wish I could go back in time and hire the more expensive guys.

I'll keep you guys posted when the pool is full.

Bfassler said:
Pool builder just got here. He says the water will line up with the liner when the pool is full.

I don't know what else to do but trust him. I talked about a leveling tool and he blew me off.

God, I wish I could go back in time and hire the more expensive guys.

I'll keep you guys posted when the pool is full.

Now this is not the answer I expected. This doesn't make sense at all. The level of the water isn't going to change as it rises. Do this. From the hard edge of the pool - use a ruler and take several measurements on various points along the wall - if the measured distances are the same (or close) then your pool is level and the liner is not perfectly installed but probably no big deal. If the distance to the top varies by more than an inch or so to the water level I'd be starting to get a little worried.

An idea so basic it's brilliant and I am kicking myself for not thinking of it. So why am I not put there doing it right now? They are putting the spray on coating on our deck. As soon as I can do this I wi let you know. Thank you!!!

Just-a-PB said:
Best way to tell is get a sounding transit(beeps) and check waterline all around the pool. This will tell you for sure!

Ok,
Think about it, :hammer:

Are you thinking about it? :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Your not going to get a better level indicator then the water in the pool.

The water is level yes, the idea I was trying to get across was that the eyes deceive you when the pool is filling. By using a transit or tape measure if you are accurate you will KNOW if the pool is level or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wanted to give an update. They didn't finish the coating until last night and i didnt wanna walk on ot yet. So this morning before work, in the rain and the dark, I took a ruler and measured from the bottom of the coping to the water line. The most difference I could find was 1 cm. so maybe he's right? I want to do it again when I can see better and I'm not rushed. Update to come after work if its not raining.

Bfassler said:
Wanted to give an update. They didn't finish the coating until last night and i didnt wanna walk on ot yet. So this morning before work, in the rain and the dark, I took a ruler and measured from the bottom of the coping to the water line. The most difference I could find was 1 cm. so maybe he's right? I want to do it again when I can see better and I'm not rushed. Update to come after work if its not raining.

He may be right about the pool being level - but not the liner looking level... LOL

Bfassler said:
He says it will all "look right" when it's full. I guess only time will tell. :-/

True - the liner can settle in some also. But I think he isn't wrong in the sense that if there is minor variation in where the waterline meets the liner but the overall pool is level - you won't mind.

Well, there's one more coat of the coating to put on and everything needs to be cleaned up and sealed, but the pool is now full. I think it looks pretty good. If I look at it for awhile I think I might be able to see the water level change slightly, but since I did the ruler test, I am not so worried.

photo1-1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.