Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Close pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Close pool?

I live in Dallas. My water is at 74 and nobody in my house will get in it. Is it too early to close it? If not, do I just put polyquat in it, run the FC up to shock and run it for 24 hours and then drain and cover?
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Close pool?

I'm in a similar situation. Chlorine demand has already started dropping with water temperature so I'm gonna wait until it gets closer to 60 before shock/closing.
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Gee, you must be spoiled down there in Texas. We just got our Intex 16'x48" set up over Labor Day, and in Sept with the water at 74 the kids were playing in there for an hour or more before deciding that maybe they would come out. Now, with our warm Indian Summer spell here in the Bay Area of 90's in the day, the water is up over 80, so we've got more time before the kids get turned off.

When we get ready to go into winter mode, we will have the pool up all winter, so I need to figure out how often I need to filter. We will use the solid vinyl cover that came with the pool. We have the integrated 2000 gpm filter/SWG combo from Intex, so I can't run it on a separate timer, and if I set it for 1 hour per day (the minimum it will do), the SWG might be generating more FC than it needs. If water temps are in the low 60's or less, is it enough to run the filter for a couple of hours once a week (assuming the solid cover)?
    5000 gal, Intex 16'x48" above ground, Intex 2000gph cartridge filter w/SWG, TF100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I purchased a used pump off eBay without the SWCG. I hook it up in the winter and run it 2 hours a day and just dose with bleach as needed.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Good idea! I'll check it out.
    5000 gal, Intex 16'x48" above ground, Intex 2000gph cartridge filter w/SWG, TF100 Test Kit