Numbers going a little crazy

Hi guys! I appreciate all the help I got when starting the BBB a little over a month ago. Up until now we have had great success and have been enjoying a nice clear pool. On average we had been holding steady at FC 8.5, CC 0, PH 7.2/7.4, TA 120-130, CYA 40

On the 28th of this September our numbers started to change: FC 11, CC 0, PH 7.2, TA 100, CH 140, CYA 60

Now tonight, the numbers are all sorts of crazy and I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Our numbers tonight are FC 17, CC 0, PH is off the charts, it actually turned to the color purple, TA 90, CYA 65.

I can't quite figure out what is causing the sudden shift in numbers or how to get them back in line. Any suggestions?

As the water gets colder and with less sunlight on the pool, you'll lose less FC each day. Are you testing before adding bleach? Or are you blindly adding bleach on the basis of previous use? I assume you don't have an SWCG.

We would normally add bleach after testing, but because the FC has been so high we haven't added any in about a week. We do have a floater with 2 pucks that sit in the pool, I guess that could be counter productive. The smell of bleach has been a bit more prominent as well. While typing this something is telling me to take out the puck floater. We do not have an SWCG, just the 2500 Intex pump.

A typical chlorine/bleach smell is due to CC ... not having high FC. Although there have been reports of people indicating a smell due to the pucks that goes away when they switch to bleach (and some films in the skimmer as well IIRC).

I used a puck for a little while to add CYA. I noticed the bleachy smell. It disappeared when the puck was gone, so I figured that's where the smell came from. I kept sniffing the pool all summer when using the bleach and never got an odor from the water. Just once I smelled it otherwise, because I had gotten some on my hands, lol.

jblizzle said:
A typical chlorine/bleach smell is due to CC ... not having high FC. Although there have been reports of people indicating a smell due to the pucks that goes away when they switch to bleach (and some films in the skimmer as well IIRC).
My puck feeder feeds the stair returns. Before I took out the last puck even on the lowest setting that area smelled like bleach. I think trichlor just smells like bleach/chlorine/ etc.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.